The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 10:18 PM

codypom is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Rod recommendations for bass???

Hey all, I am relatively new to fly fishing. I picked up a fly rod at a garage sale this spring because it was dirt cheap and I wanted to give it a try. It is a shakespeare 8' 5/6wt. My wife got me a guided trip on some trout streams as a gift and I have absolutely fallen in love with fly fishing.

I fish mostly in farm ponds and smallish lakes for largemouth bass, as well in a medium size river for smallmouth bass. I have been using clouser minnows (size 2 and 1/0) and BH woolly buggers with some success. I also have some poppers , rabbit divers, and conehead muddlers. When most people think of bass fishermen, they think of huge tackle being thrown in the the brush to drag out the biggest fish possible. Usually I am not that guy, but when I am I have baitcasting gear for that. Fly fishing will fit into my arsenal as more of a finesse approach.

So I am looking for a new rod. My shakespeare is about as thick as my pinky at the butt and the reel locking ring won't stay put, and it is in general a POS. Like I said, I don't want a real heavy rod and don't plan on throwing gigantic flies. I was thinking I would go with a 9' 5 or 6 wt rod. What do ya'll think?

Also, what's the deal on 2 vs. 4 piece? The bass guys look down their noses at it if it isn't 1 piece, but some of the most expensive fly rods are 4 pieces.

As far as $$$ I don't want to spend $300 on a rod, and actually might have a friend who is a builder make me one, he owes me a favor... If anyone is familiar with Batson blanks, I would be looking at one of theirs.

Thank you to anyone who answers, sorry if these are questions that have been asked a million times before.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:32 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Rod recommendations for bass???

If you are going for bass I'd do 9' 6 wt over the 5, though the difference is not huge. I've built on batson blanks. Rx8 is a great blank though I like the rx7 and rx6's I've fished. Rx8 is faster. I don't know what kind of rod would be best for you though. Here is a review of it if you are interested
Fly Fishing & Fly Tying Review: Batson 9' 6wt blank (RX8 9' 6wt 4 pc.)

I prefer 4 piece rods for storage and travel, though others have different views on it.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:50 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by codypom View Post
When most people think of bass fishermen, they think of huge tackle being thrown in the the brush to drag out the biggest fish possible. Usually I am not that guy, but when I am I have baitcasting gear for that. Fly fishing will fit into my arsenal as more of a finesse approach.
With the right delivery system, one could splash an ugly concoction of foam, deer hair, hackle, and whatever flashy petroleum based product that would look tasty to any bass. Catching a bass with a fly rod does not have to be all about finesse, so let the big flies rip!

Quote:
I was thinking I would go with a 9' 5 or 6 wt rod. What do ya'll think?
I like to have more rod than less rod to deliver the necessary payload for the right presentation. With bass flies being on the larger side, it would make more sense to use a six weight instead of a five weight.

Quote:
Also, what's the deal on 2 vs. 4 piece? The bass guys look down their noses at it if it isn't 1 piece, but some of the most expensive fly rods are 4 pieces.
The topic is not debated much anymore since graphite and ferruling have improved over the years. Unless you are a superb caster, you probably won't tell the difference.

Quote:
As far as $$$ I don't want to spend $300 on a rod, and actually might have a friend who is a builder make me one, he owes me a favor... If anyone is familiar with Batson blanks, I would be looking at one of theirs.
I have seen a custom rod built from Batson blank. It cast nicely, so I guess I cannot say anything bad about it.

If you would rather just buy something, buy a TFO BVK rod, Lamson Konic reel, Rio Smallmouth Bass line, whatever accessory, and call it good.

If you are concerned about breakage of a rod, TFO will either repair or replace your rod quickly.

Dennis
Old 10-01-2012, 05:22 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I like a little more heft in a rod for Smallmouth bass. My go to bass rod is a 4-piece 9'0" 7 wt. Plenty of rod for the largest Smallies and plenty of reserve power in the blank for tucking hairy frog patterns up under trees on opposite shores on a windy day (I'm talking rivers here, not lakes when I say the opposite shore... ).

I think that Dennis' suggestion of a TFO BVK rod, Lamson Konic reel and Rio Bass line is a very good one. It gets you started in a good place and you can take the rig out and fish it right away without having to spend time trying to figure out what gear is the best match.

I would consider going with a 7 wt, though and definitely a 4-piece rod; just for the convenience of carrying it around with you.

Pocono
Old 10-01-2012, 05:27 AM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

Don't forget about the Redington Torrent rods. They're about the same price as a BVK and they're nice rods too. I love my 9' 8 weight I just got. I lined it with a Rio Mainstream Bass Pike Panfish WF8F line. It does double duty as my small pike rod.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:11 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Cody. I use a 8.5 2 piece custom rod made by a man I know also. It's a St. Croix Avid blank 6 weight. I know nothing of the blanks you mention, but I'm sure they are quality also. I had a 2 inch fighting butt put on it also. I use an Orvis Encounter reel with it. I love this setup. I've caught countless numbers of smallies, white bass, a few hybrid bass and a few skipjack's as well. I don't worry about travel safety with my rod cause I store it in a Cabela's cordura tube when I drive to where I fish. Since I don't fly at all to fishing destinations, this works well for me.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:33 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Another rod you could look at, is this, http://www.basspro.com/Heat-Fly-Rods/product/10210103/ . This is bass pro's attack at the Sage Bass rods which are fantastic, but way more then you want to spend. However, for 100 bucks you get a short solid rod tthat will really chuck some big bugs and have a good backbone to fight bigger fish. The only downfall to them is the lightest they make it in is an 8wt which is alittle on the heavy side but that allows for more options, like small pike and carp.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-01-2012, 08:29 AM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

i have fell in love with my TFO hawleg 8wt. 7'11"! it will throw the biggest bugs i have. suprisingly it can throw them a good distance and very accurate. i love the 8wt. backbone for the hard fighting smallies that i chase on local creeks. the price is great too!!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:58 AM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

I have probably caught more fish with a 9' 6wt than any other rod I own.Its as close to an all around rod as you could have.Its easily uplined with a 7wt to throw bigger stuff if needed.I fish mine in the salt also for small stripers,flounder and trout.Its a very good rod for SMB and LMB and most other FW fish.A 4pc rod is much easier transported and stored so theres no reason to go with a 2pc other than preference.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:52 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I'd go with a 9 foot size 7 or even 8. A heavier-weight rod will make it easier to throw bigger flies.

Also, for bass I'd go with a stiff rod as you'll need help when you set the hook.

I think Cabela's makes a good rod for the money as does, TFO and Echo.

Randy