The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 05:32 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice
Default River Camping Trip

A few weeks back me and a group from our state kayak fishing fourm did our early fall river camp. It's a cool group of people from many walks of life that came in from all over of the state. There were 15 of us this trip. Actually had a couple of flyfishers this time, though for most, fishing isn't the main concern. Me - I fish.

My first interesting fish of the trip - Rio Grande cichlid, a native of the Rio Grande drainage in Texas and Mexico, it has been been introduced in other Texas rivers. They are fighters, you'll think you have a much bigger fish on.
Click the image to open in full size.

Lots of plastic - we have most of the brands and models covered.

Like most of the river in this area, it is surrounded by ranches

The Guadalupe x Smallmouth hybrid. No pure Guadalupe Bass are left here, and as sad as that is, the hybrids are beautiful fish and are great fighters too.

There's a large island 8 miles from the put-in that will hold a big group. Here's my tent and veiw.

One of my things was to have a big fire. With the drought we've had burn bans in place most of the last few years, but some recent rains allowed them to be dropped just in time.

And dinner -

We had a great time sitting around the fire talking and visiting. It was fun to listen to all the conversations, older guys talking about their military days in the '60s and the younger ones talking about being old, at 30.

The fishing wasn't great, low water that was a bit stained, but guys like this kept us from getting bored.

It was a nice relaxing trip with people that I really enjoy getting out with.
Can't beat that.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:36 PM

reidsisk will become famous soon enough
Default Re: River Camping Trip

Great post!!!!! those are some awesome fish! I wish there were some Rio Grande Cichlids around here! thats a cool lookin fish!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That looked like a great trip billy, I love float trips.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-04-2012, 07:20 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi riverbilly.
A nice stretch of River,Nice Fish,Friends over here have Hobies similiar to the ones you guys have.
I bet it was fun with your Climate in Texas.
Brian.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I have to agree, what a nice trip! Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:16 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

what a great report! looks like you guys had a great time

casey

ARFE
Old 10-04-2012, 08:31 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Billy, Thanks for sharing the fun trip experience with us. There is nothing more fun than enjoying the outdoors with friends. I am envious of the great camp food...I usually end up with re-hydrated stuff
Old 10-04-2012, 09:21 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Nice post Billy. Looks like a great float trip with some cool looking fish! I especially like that cichlid very cool looking and you say they fight good that's for me. Thanks for sharing.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-05-2012, 10:36 AM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

Great trip report and pictures. I used to have those "Texas Cichlids" in large aquarium built into my wall. I know they can get to 3 lbs with the right food
Old 10-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great report and pics Billy...thanks for sharing