The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 08:54 PM

cjam93 is on a distinguished road
Default Just getting into fly fishing... (about flies)

Hey guys so like the topic says I am just starting to get into fly fishing. I ordered a scientific rod combo to get started with that is a 7/8 wt rod. I live in North Carolina so pretty much all of my fishing will be in either ponds or lakes and for bass and panfish. I know that people say poppers work well for panfish, and streamers are good for bass, but what all flies should I check out? thanks guys!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:06 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just getting into fly fishing... (about flies)

First of all, welcome!

Here are some fly suggestions. Since Orvis is a corporate sponsor I've linked to their page. If you go to the Corporate Sponsor area on the forum you'll find our sponsors and if you click the links there to the retailers it should track that you came from the forum.

For bass:

- Poppers like this one or this
- Hair bugs like this
- Wooly Buggers in black, green, and brown not sure of the size of bass, but you could get fly sizes 2-6. You can get them with bead/cone heads for extra weight to get them under the water.
- Various weighted steamers are good (like clousers) but they are harder to cast for a beginner and the weighted streamer can damage your rod or get stuck in you so it's best to hold off on those till you get more confident casting.

For panfish
- poppers
- nymphs like hare's ears (hang it under a floating fly
- foam terrestrials

For both species you can probably get 1x or 2x leader and tippet and be fine for poppers and streamers. Neither species is very picky.

A smallie stream I loved to fish in Michigan, the bass would hammer black wooly buggers but then when an insect hatch would happen they'd take them off the surface like trout That was fun.
mcnerney and chuck s like this.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:12 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

first off, welcome to the forum!
as far as flies- bass love top water poppers and sliders etc., but i would also consider a clouser minnow as another deadly bass fly
for pan fish, you may want to invest in a 4 or 5 weight rig. pan fish flies are plentiful -nymphs to poppers to spiders or ants.....

casey
mcnerney, chuck s and shotgunfly like this.

ARFE
Old 10-11-2012, 09:22 PM

cjam93 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I really like this forum I have been lurking for a little over a week now, and theres so much information here! I will for sure look into getting some of those flies thanks! Im not sure if it matters, but I forgot to mention the bass I will go after around my house are all largemouth. At my local lake the common size is usually right over a foot or so maybe 1.5 lbs or so. One other question I had was what is generally a good size to go with for panfish? The pond I fish often for them have bluegills that are around 7-10 inches for the average fish.

edit: Also thanks for the suggestion of going to a lighter fly rod. I actually do plan on getting a second rod eventually just for that reason. I just want to wait and make sure that I will enjoy fly fishing before I invest in a second rod. Though to be honest, I dont even have a rod yet and I can say I am pretty addicted to just watching videos and reading about it constantly haha
Old 10-12-2012, 07:45 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I fish an 8wt for bass... it's a good choice especially when fishing around heavy cover or weed. I most often bring a lighter rod as well for pan fish but the 8wt is the primary
Around here, you can find some decent poppers for both bass and pan fish at the w*lmart.
They carry the Betts brand flies in the blister packs. They're good quality but IMO expensive..... but maybe not as expensive as Orvis

As far as I'm concerned, the single best commercial top water bug is the Sneaky Pete in chartreuse or yellow . I recommend that you try one

Click the image to open in full size.
chuck s likes this.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 10-12-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

cjam....already got great advice....looking forward to seeing your reorts and pics
Old 10-12-2012, 09:49 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
but maybe not as expensive as Orvis
Yeah Orvis is not the cheapest place just linking to forum corporate member. They sell good flies, but there are lots of great places to get inexpensive flies. Sometimes you get what you pay for, but there are a lot of good deals out there. I got 6 bluegill poppers in a case for dirt cheap at wally world and caught a lot of gills and small bass on them.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:56 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I'll bite. There are already a lot of good flies listed here. I'm from VA so we're not that too far off as far as species and terrain. I chase bass with 7wt and use a 3wt for pan fish. Poppers for both. I really like BoogleBug poppers. They are indestructible IME. I've recently started throwing clouser minnows...the bigger resulting in the bigger fish. I've gotten a few on hoppers where they exist naturally around the ponds.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:07 PM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

For panfish I like a size 10 most of the time. I sometimes will go up to a 6 and down to a 14 but 10 is the best place to start. I like floating spiders for panfish mostly because they are easy to see for this old man and they catch fish. I have caught gill on a Micky Finn streamer on a #1 hook but not a normal panfish size.

For bass I normally use size 6 up to 1/0. 6 to 2's is a good place to start. Poppers and hair bugs in the 6 to 4 are easier to cast than the bigger ones so you should start there IMO. There are a lot of good saltwater streamers out there in the 6 to 2 size that work well for LM bass.

A good bottom fly to use is a crawdad imitation for both panfish and bass. Size 8,4,6 will work well and with beadchain eyes or very small lead or brass cast well. As was mentioned above....to begin with stay away from big heavy lead flies. If there are any carp in your lake they will eat a dad fly and will give you a thrill.

As mentioned above...a 2 or 3wt rod for panfish is ideal. Panfish on a light rod is so much fun you will forget about those 12" bass.

Last edited by ditz; 10-12-2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-12-2012, 03:39 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Great advise already given. This is just an FYI. Just because a fly pattern is not listed as a "bass" or panfish fly, does not mean it can't be used as such. Since Orvis has been mentioned, they've got some flies on sale right now@ 70% off, and their quality is excellent.

Check out these, all of which will work fine for bass or panfish in appropriate sizes.
Cartoon Salmon Fly
Paratoon Hopper
Gibb's Golden Stone
Grassett's Deep Flats Bunny
Senyo's Sculpin

I tie the majority of the flies I use, but have purchased flies a few times from Orvis when they're on sale. When I saw this sale I bought a streamer pattern & that Grassett's Deep Flats Bunny, with the idea they can be used for bass or in saltwater. Get on their mailing list & check the sales!

There are sources that have flies priced less, but it never hurts to save money on better quality when you can.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!