The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 07:10 PM

cjam93 is on a distinguished road
Default Best line for lake and pond fishing?

Hey guys so I do a majority of my fishing for bass and panfish and pretty much always on a lake or pond. Where I live there aren't any rivers or streams to fish close to my house. Anyways would it be better for me to use floating or sinking line? I am very new to fly fishing and heard floating was better for the beginner, but how low can I actually get a fly if it is on floating line? Also what is a good length to make my leader? thanks guys!
Old 10-14-2012, 09:27 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Re: Best line for lake and pond fishing?

well if you really want to know a precise number you can use some fluid dynamics and do upthrust vs gravity. realistically you can get a clouser down to about 10 feet. need it further down? up the dumbbell size
Old 10-14-2012, 09:33 PM

Sorry but do you mean 10 ft down while attached to a floating line?
Old 10-14-2012, 10:21 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

Yes also fluoro leaders get you deeper
Old 10-14-2012, 10:30 PM

Ok awesome thanks!
Old 10-21-2012, 12:38 PM

akruss will become famous soon enough

I use to fish nymphs in small lakes for trout and generally used a slow sink tip unless I was fishing very shallow water in which case I'd go with a floating line. I'm about to try Clouser deep minnows for bass and am planning on using floating lines and probably 9 to 10' fluoro leaders. The difference is the nymphs were small and mostly unweighted. My Clousers are fairly heavily weighted with barbell eyes. Also the up and down diving action is more pronounced/faster with Clousers which is probably easier to do with a floating line unless you really want to get down deep.

I've fished a number of sink tips including Steelhead Vs, that sink very quickly, and full sinking lines. While they get things down deeper, you pay for it as it's more difficult to get the line and leader out of the water to begin a new cast. Sinking lines cast with much higher line speeds and can play havoc with your casting in general. However, if you need a depth charge to sound the bottom, a full sinking line is the way it's done. I use much shorter leaders with sinking and sink tip lines, often just 3 or 4' in fast moving rivers and will probably use 7 1/2' leaders on the now local bass lakes.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:20 PM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough

I fish lakes all the time. I've used sink lines, but they are no fun at all to fish.

In 15' or deeper, a UL spin rod is so much better. Try the new super thin "NanoFil" line and you can fish any depth with ease.

I caught a few crappie with a sink line and small streamers, but I can catch ten times as many, and a lot less work, with a UL spin outfit.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:39 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
Yes also fluoro leaders get you deeper
So do Kevlar furled leaders, and longer leaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
In 15' or deeper, a UL spin rod is so much better. .
But this is a fly site. Kinda like telling a guy on a race car site to take the bus.
brucerducer likes this.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

This summer I have been fishing ponds and pools a lot for Bass, Bluegill, White bass, and Carp.
I bout the Sage 230 grain line at Sierra Trading post for $30. They don't carry it anymore, but I did find some on e-bay.
This line shoots like a rocket on an eight weight. I am a Sharkskin girl, but love this line and the price is a big bonus.

I use a 6' furled leader with the Kevlar in it. Been using it all summer and still using it. With that leader I am adding 3' to 6' of fluoro tippet.

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
I fish lakes all the time. I've used sink lines, but they are no fun at all to fish.

In 15' or deeper, a UL spin rod is so much better. Try the new super thin "NanoFil" line and you can fish any depth with ease.

I caught a few crappie with a sink line and small streamers, but I can catch ten times as many, and a lot less work, with a UL spin outfit.
Dude you are definitely not doing something. Sinking lines on stillwater are a must! All sinking lines will hit bottom including Intermediate, it is all about how quickly.

The fact you catch more with spinning is just your ability to use sinking line correctly is lacking. Not trying to be rude, just the fact.
Fly fishing does require putting the practice time in. It is possible to flip a fly out and catch a fish, but to do it anywhere, anytime, any species with fly gear requires time spent.
I have out fished many a spin fishers on local ponds.
mcnerney, Guest1, theboz and 1 others like this.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:16 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Time spent, Practice no truer words have been spoken. To learn is to do! Joni you nailed it! You want to become a good flyfisher follow those two simple rules and you can outfish any gear guy! Especially with crappies !
mcnerney likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Last edited by theboz; 10-24-2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Word wrong