The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 10:05 PM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice
Default worm fly patterns?

so i would like to stock up on some worms for bassin'. i cant seem to locate any online?? i know ive seen them. i just want something tied similiar to the looks of a "zoom" trick worm. anybody have any info on where?? thanks in advance!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:45 PM

jack crack jones is on a distinguished road
Default Re: worm fly patterns?

Google the term "estaz worm". That may be what you're looking for.

Also, check out this link: http://www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com/fil...thewormfly.pdf
Old 10-17-2012, 10:48 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Old 10-18-2012, 12:09 AM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Many years back I found myself needing a fly that would imitate the big rubber worms that Bass Anglers favor and I recalled from decades earlier using Uncle Josh's Pork Rind strips for bass in those largely pre-rubber worm days. about then I had an idea which turned out to be a killer for a fly and took a piece of tan chamois I had lying around and cut a bunch of strips, eels, split tails, etc and colored them with a magic marker. I then added them to a couple larger Wooley Worms (Buggers hadn't become the vogue yet) and voila, an instant and super effective Bass Fly. Here's a link and scroll down a page or so and you'll see a variety of the pork strips that I imitated. To this day I've got a few in my vest to add slinkiness and length to a killer fly. Add one to a popper and you have a snake, add one to a clouser and you have jig and worm combo that will take all big game fish. 2011 March | Mama Mia Fishing

Over the years I refined the fly a bit and now favor a pre-tied rabbit strip tail, using a 6-9 inch strip of rabbit strip, shaved except for an inch or so of paddle tail and then a palmered body made of shapplen feather. Black and Purple is the best color for deeper flies and for a snake color black and yellow added to a Dahlberg head is best. For the deeper flies, i use a 3/0 to 5/0 commercial weedless hook with a wire guard and do the same for some of the floaters but use a heavier mono loop as a weed guard instead.

Good Luck and hold on as these are big bad bass flies!
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 10-18-2012, 03:54 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

While you're googling, look up braided worm flies. There are some cool multi colors you can "braid" up.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:35 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here is your basic San Juan worm, you can easily change the colors or even do a dual color or I have seen where the thread is a contrasting color from the chenille.
Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

Old 10-18-2012, 08:17 AM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

thanks guys! i just needed the right term the estaz worm is EXACTLY what i need in my flybox! i dont tie yet so ill have to find a source.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:05 AM

ok....so icant find any for sale ANYWHERE!! someone wanna tie me some?
Old 10-18-2012, 01:32 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:44 AM

Olive V-Worm - Fly. Might be along the line you're looking for. Good material. Kinda pricey. But...if you don't tie...