The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 05:05 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Spey rodding the Missouri River

Hey,

Does anyone spey the Missouri in the Missouri/Kansas City Area for catfish or any other fish? If so, what are you using? What kind of tip/fly/leader length? I'm currently geared with a tfo deer creek 13'6" and a 600g rio flight skagit line and I'm using a 5ft sink tip. I've been trying sculpins/rabbit-strip leeches/clousers/buggers. I haven't had any luck. Of course, I don't think I'm quite getting to the bottom, either. Any, comments on this would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2012, 01:14 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spey rodding the Missouri River

Don't know the water(s), but skip trying for cat fish. 'Any' fish with his/her mouth on the bottom their head is a 'bottom sifter' when it comes to feeding. Know a couple of locals (out of So-Kalifornia) and their considered opinion the hardest fish to get their attention was Carp.

Never fished (knowingly) for same here in Oregon (or years back in Nor-Cal) but it's an art form.

BUT all that aside, what type of fish are in your river area?

fae
Old 10-20-2012, 10:07 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

There are blue-cats, flathead, channel-cats, palid sturgeon, shovelnose sturgeon, common carp, asian carp, buffalo carp, fresh-water drum. That all that I know... I called the fishery, the other day. The missouri river in this area doesn't have the habitat for fish like walleye and pike, or even smallmouth bass.

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 AM ----------

And there's gar in the river...
Old 10-20-2012, 11:00 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Gar, now that would be something to hook on a fly rod.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:18 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Gar are super easy on the fly rod. About the same as bluegills with a worm.

There should also be striped/white bass hybrids in the river. My buddy fishes in the MO river all the time and catches all kinds of stuff, the other day he pulled a small smallie out of the mississippi behind a lock and dam in nasty muddy water. He also catches goldeneye, so you may have some of those to find as welll.

We never use a spey rod in the river, we either stick to the bank or go out in our kayaks. To get the weight down we just use heavy flies and split shot. they cast like hell but we get em 10-25' down pretty easy. Lots of catfish and drum being caught in that range right now.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-20-2012, 04:32 PM

Would love to see some photo's of a fly rod caught Gar. You have quite a range of fish there that you won't (well, some small stocked ponds) find in the Darkest Reaches of Southern Oregon.

Fred
Old 10-20-2012, 07:30 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

use a heavy tip depending on how deep it is, if you want the bottom 5ips is what you want, and id also suggest at least a 12ft tip, youll get a better anchor
Old 10-20-2012, 08:58 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

No photos of gar, i tend to send them on their way before they get too close to the kayak, but here's a video of my buddy hooking into a big one, watch for soem mild language i think,,,

Guest1 and fredaevans like this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-20-2012, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Find some riffles and have a go there.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-20-2012, 11:59 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Dallas, we may have found the fish to target! Gar on a two hand rod. Sounds freakin awsome!
In fact if you get it figured out I may have to come down and do it to. That would be more fun than should be legal.
mbphotos54 likes this.