The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 01:17 PM

codypom is on a distinguished road
Default over weighting line?

I have seen it mentioned a few times on here, but what would happen if I put 7wt line on my 6wt rod? Advantages? Disadvantages? The reason I ask is I am interested in the Bass Pro Bass taper line, but it only goes down to 6wt.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:24 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: over weighting line?

It will probably cast fine - depending upon casting style, rod type, fishing circumstances, etc. some people prefer the marked weight, some overline a little, some underline. It's personal preference more than anything.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on the rod. Rods are rated not by what they should be rated as but by what the manufacturer wants you think it is. Some rods test out more than 2 weights heavier. Rods like Sage tend to do that. It makes casting for beginner hard if they get to carried away in that direction as you need to get a lot of line carried in the air to make the rod load right. There is a list of many rods ERN, which is what they really are, if you look for the common cents system on line.

That being said, fly rods have a grain window. That is the min. to max. grains line that a rod will correctly cast. In single hand rods that window is huge. In two hand rods it is much narrower and less forgiving.

In conclusion going one weight one way or another on almost any rod will not be a problem. It might help you load the rod for close casts where you can't aerialize a lot of line. i.e. not a lot of room behind you.
fredaevans likes this.

Last edited by Guest1; 11-15-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:24 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

When you're throwing big air resistant flies like bass bugs, tight loops from fast rods aren't exactly your friend. An open loop with the power of the rod emulating from the full rod length right down to it's butt end rather than just the tip end will more easily cast the fly. Overlining the rod will accomplish this.
Most rods will easily handle 3 line weights. Sometimes one on each side of the recommend weight, but for heavier rods it's more likely on the higher side.
I have a bunch 8wt rods. Only one casts best with an 8wt line. The others with a 9wt and one casts it's best with an 11wt line. It will be obvious when you try.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:05 PM

tpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura about

I've heard in the past that rods are designed to cast a DT line in the rated size, so if you fish a WF line, you'll usually have to over-line by one weight to properly load the rod. I don't know if this is true or not since anymore I think WF lines are much more commonly used. My own experience is that it varies greatly by rod and the line used. My 5 and 6 weight rods cast 6 weight lines well. My 8wt needs a 9 wt line. My 7 weight casts a standard 8wt line really well, but when I use a bass bug taper the 7wt line works much better. Go figure... I think you just have to experience what works for you. Good luck.

Tom
Old 10-24-2012, 10:17 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

im the other way,, I really like how my 6wt line casts on my 8wt rod..
Old 10-24-2012, 11:06 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

yep, depends on the rod.
i have a few 4 weights that all like 4 weight line, but all of my 3 weight take a 4 weight line as well.
my 2 weight likes a wf3 or dt2, depending on conditions.
my 5 weights can go 5 or 6, 5 working the best.
but when it really gets weird is 7 weight and up.
my scierra 10' 7 weight is horrible with a standard wf7, but loves a wf8 or even 9.
my sage fli 8 weight casts like a dream on a wf9 line.
so in my opinion, don't mess around to much with your mid weight lines, but take a look at adjusting your light and heavier weight lines.

casey

ARFE
Old 10-25-2012, 07:23 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: over weighting line?

Interesting thread to say the least!

Vast majority of my 'casting' is with a 2hander but I do carry a 10' 7wt Sage XP for 'close in work.' Rod is presently lined with a #7 RIO Grande line ... which I'm far less than pleased.

For you folks who use the XP's, what line(s) have you found that properly load this rod? For context, about the largest flies I use would be a #6 weighted bug of some sort.

Fred
Old 10-25-2012, 07:42 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

Have a 6wt TFO Axiom that seems to 'wander' with a WF6F on 30-60' casts but ok when much more line out. Though I love long casts I can ill afford the loss of mid range ability.

With a WF7 it is sure and predictable all the way across. I now consider it a 7wt regardless of what label says. Tried it with a 8wt Bass Bugg taper and is good in the 30-60' but looses control past. Forget trying it with a 5wt, hardly bends it.

IMHO best to try each rod you buy with a line up & down (if you don't have this many rods/reels/lines then your addiction is not complete!). Seems our faster rods tend to be a bit over spined.

Pete A.
basshead likes this.

Last edited by pete a; 10-25-2012 at 07:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-25-2012, 11:23 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

Each rod is different. Some work well designated line and some work better with overlining. I only have one rod that works better with underlining and it is glass. I have a 2wt that loves a 4wt DT line. All you can do is try it and see. I am guessing a 7wt will work fine with your 6wt rod.