The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 08:58 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Step up to the 8 weight?

Hi, I fish mostly with my 6 weight which I really like. That said, I'd like to throw some more bulky flies and I find that a #6 fly is about as big as I can comfortably cast on the 6 weight. The larger poppers, mice, and #2 lead clousers are a real pain for me to cast on this rod.

In your opinions, is there a noticeable difference in casting these suckers if you move up to the 8 weight rod? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger to make my life a bit easier out there. I didn't want to waste my money if you guys think it's not worth it
Old 10-31-2012, 09:46 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Step up to the 8 weight?

There's a 'hands down' difference. I have a ten weight and I'm throwing tarpin sized flies with it with ease. Another thing to consider is the fly line. What size flies are you looking to throw?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:49 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

The ones I'd like to toss better are my #2 lead eye clouser minnows, #4 poppers, #4 mouse fly, #4-6 tungsten muddler minnows -- all of which are a real hassle to throw on my 6 weight...unless I drop to a 4-5' leader with really heavy tippet...which isn't desirable.

Thanks,
Old 10-31-2012, 09:56 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

So, I'm assuming you're using a floating line? You shouldn't have an issue throwing them with an 8 weight. I tend to lean towards a faster rod. I throw some 1/0 clousers with my 7 weight without issues. I would just make sure that you have a good fly line to turn them over. SA Titan and Magnum tapers are good choices. Also, Rio outbound. However, it's really whatever you feel most comforable with.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:20 AM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

for me the 8 wt. is my go to in the spring and summer! i can throw the biggest and baddest bass bugs with ease. i tried with a 6 wt. but wore myself out trying to make them turn over and couldnt get any distance either. you will notice a HUGE difference using an 8wt.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:52 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I would do it. 8wts can cast some pretty beastly flies. I have throw some flies close to 12" long with mine and it did a pretty good with them. However the 11wt throws em around like they dont even exist.

You could try a more aggresive line on your 6wt to see if that would help any, like mentioned above the Rio Outbound is a fantastic big bug hucker. I cast a 6/7wt with some very large flies pretty easily with the outbound but there are times when I wish that I had an 8 for the extra backbone the rod itself provides.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-31-2012, 12:19 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I use an old 8wt line on the 6wt rod that I use to play with my cats.
It's a pretty crappy rod ($13 from W*lmart) but I can throw a tweety bird sized bucktail & saddle hackle "fly" with that set-up.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:04 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

I''m a southern born in North Louisiana (north of the Mason/Boudreaux Line) where I started fly fishing and moved to Houston when I was in mid-teens (acient time of late 60's). For us big fish like big bait/lures.

6's are often my lightest rig with 8's the mid range. It can throw poppers, deer hair bugs, bigger streamers. It handles sink tip with big streamer much easier than a 6. With an 8 the wind isn't the issue it is with a 6 that has bit too big a fly. 8's though do feel a bit big when catching brim or smallish white bass.

For most fishing it's either a bassbug or saltwater taper. Seldom are super long casts required other than bragging, though with the saltwater tapers 70-8o doable . With practice it won't fatigue any more than the 6. But when you do hook that bigger fish the 8 will feel perfect.

Get a good 9' 8wt with a better quality reel and you'll have most bass fishing covered plus a great kit your your forays into salt.

You can find great prices on the closeout Sage Flight's. Got 3 of them, 2-8wts & 1 10wt love these. Sold my BVK's to fund the Sage's and never looked back. The TFO Signature I and Pro series are good lower end rods, med fast actions and reasonble price.

My current 8's:

1 -Orvis FullFlex 8'-6" 8wt (vintage glass, med slow but lots of back bone)
1 - Fenwick FF858 8'-6" 8wt (vintage glass, slow and predictable)
1 -TFO Signature I 9'-0" 8wt (really sleeper, love this cheapie)
1 - Sage Vantage 9'-0" 8wt (bit slower than the Flight sweet, my oldest son is trying to aquire this one through the "Homestead Act")
2 - Sage Flight 9'-0" 8wt (fast and sure in adverse winds)
Wants - Shakespeare WonderRod in 8wt
Sage Xi3 9' 8wt

Both sons have 9'-0" TFO Signature I's 8's for their "heavy" rigs.

Pete A.

Last edited by pete a; 10-31-2012 at 02:20 PM.