The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 02:48 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Flies for the Missouri river around KC/St Joseph

not really. they stay pretty fat.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 11-28-2012, 09:42 PM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

I also use a lot of squirrel tail. You can also use squirrel zonkers for the claws. They seem to move around a little more than the squirrel tail claws and the fish seem to like them too. Rabbit zonkers also work but they can soak up a lot of water and get heavy. The squirrel zonkers are easier to cast IMO. I have had better success with flies that resemble dads than the more realistic patterns and are faster to tie so losing a couple is far less stressful:lol2

When I use the zonkers I usually start the fly by making a small ball with orange micro chenile about a third of the way up the bend of the hook to spread the zonkers and the position up the hook makes the claws stand up a little when the fly is sitting flat on the bottom.

I also have tied up a couple of saltie crabs with the zonker claws to try out in FL if I get the chance to go this winter. Yee Haa
Old 11-28-2012, 10:17 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

The main objective here: catch fish in the river that is 3 minutes from my house. I'm using a 13'6 8/9 deer creek spey rod with a skagit flight versi-tip at 600 grains. I'm using the heaviest head that I can find and I'm casting it straight out to ensure that it will sink. It's about a 30' drop or better. I have yet to land anything with a spey rod in the Missouri by my area. These fly tips and patterns are definitely helpful. And, I appreciate it.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:05 AM

stevep is on a distinguished road

I hope I'm not too late to the party here. I live in St Joe and do a lot of fly fishing on the MO and its feeders. I tie flies similar to what geoff posted and add rattles to most as the water is super murky most of the time. I would love to hit the water with someone some time I find it almost laughable that most guys wouldn't even consider putting a fly line in that river around here. There are some monsters to be had and more fun than a sack of monkeys with hammers. Lopez you have a PM.

Steve
Old 12-14-2012, 02:50 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

I hadn't looked at this post. I checked my PM before and if I would have checked this, I would have known that you were from my town . I will be calling you, soon. I need a fishing partner, in crime. I know that most of the time, the river is deep. So, it will be nice to know where the 'spots' are.