The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 08:02 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Flies for the Missouri river around KC/St Joseph

From the reports that I've been reading, most of the catfish have been biting on
Asian carp. So, I'm looking to see if anyone has ever tied a bait-fish pattern that looks like an Asian carp? Any takers?
Old 11-11-2012, 09:00 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flies for the Missouri river around KC/St Joseph

I dont know about Asian Carp imitations but I do believe catfish will hit a variety of patterns . Many people on this forum have caught catfish on a variety of patterns. My go to pattern is a bead head leech which has worked for me in many waters for cattys! Check out the Muddy Waters threads in this section ! Those guys hammer catfish. Also look at Didgeridoos posts , the cats he catches are monsters!
Personally I wouldn't worry to much about matching the hatch in your situation moreover id be more concerned about finding fish to put a fly in front of!
I'm sure your cats are like all others and they are coming a long way to find Asian carp baits through scent and vibration. You as a fly fisherman do not have this option and must present your fly where the catfish can get a visual and respond!
If you know where they are I'll bet you can throw a bead head feather duster and hook up!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-16-2012, 12:38 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

The river is very wide. I've been trying to spey cast and drift for them, to cover a lot of water and, hopefully, get the fly in front of them. I have been casting rabbit hair leech patterns to them with no luck. However, it might be late in the year for that. Also, I have been casting clousers, but I've had no such luck on them, either. I thought about throwing some articulated patterns out there. Maybe those will get their attention...
Old 11-26-2012, 10:32 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Look into a lot of big musky patterns, then tie them in all white and silver. My recommendation would be a spey rod and the heaviest line you can through.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:18 AM

I have thrown some larger clouser patterns. I haven't thrown any of my muskie flies, though. maybe some enrico flies will work?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:02 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Big heavy crayfish patterns are what we usually use for cats. Size 2 and up. Use fox squirrel tail as pinchers, then make a dubbing loop with some rust browns, oranges and some squirrel tail trimmings. use BIG beadchain eyes, and tie in a weedgaurd if you want. Simple, easy and quick.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 11-27-2012, 05:20 PM

Are you focusing on any other species? Are there walleye in the Missouri around your area?

Is there a tying example of this fly on the web?

Last edited by delopez; 11-27-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:38 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Here's a thought, though I never tried it...yet. I've seen tiny rattled bead bodies you can tie into your streamers.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:20 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
Are you focusing on any other species? Are there walleye in the Missouri around your area?

Is there a tying example of this fly on the web?
We target fish in the river. Doesnt really matter what they are haha. mainly its carp, drum and catfish.

The fly im talking about looks like this,

Click the image to open in full size.

tie it with many sets of eyes to get it down deep fast, and the second set of eyes is actually 4 beacs wide, so they flop about and rattle. The picture is pretty deceptive, those crayfish are close to 3" when were done on size 2 hooks

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 11-28-2012, 08:26 AM

Those look nice. Does the body slim up a bit when it gets wet?