The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 12:05 PM

nantucket28 is on a distinguished road
Default Suwanee Bass

In a few weeks, I'll be heading over to the Santa Fe River to fly fish for Suwanee bass. I've never fished for them before but I know they feed heavily on crayfish. I keep my fly tying simple, quick, and durable. This fly is tied on a #2 hook with black dumbbell eyes, black barred crayfish orange zonker strip on the tail, followed by some Fly Tyer's Dungeon (FTD) brown baby bug legs, followed by a clump dubbed body of FTD black Halloween Sea Dragon dubbing. This is my first time ordering from FTD. This dubbing is awesome and has both black and orange mini rubber legs in it, bought during the Halloween sale for 80 cents a pack.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:21 PM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Suwanee Bass

You should catch a few on that.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:23 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

That's a great looking fly there. It's just about the time of year for me to start throwing lots of craws.
Looks like I'll be placing an order with Fly Tyer's Dungeon, good looking stuff.

Welcome to the fourm, too.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:37 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Very cool, always wanted to catch a Suwanee Bass, please post photos of the fish!

That fly will hunt!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:56 AM

wtl is on a distinguished road

Don't know if the few weeks have come and gone yet, but the sante fe is a lovely river. It is extremely clear, so even though it is a small river you feel like its a 3d experience, you know where the channel is, you can see it, you see the grass, you see the fish and you see them take.

All my suwannee bass have come on crankbaits and senkos, so no fly fishing experience with them, but I imagine it wont be too hard.