The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 09:48 AM

troutbanger20 is on a distinguished road
Default Bass in Golf Course Pond

I fish in a pretty active golf pond with large bass that love worms. I have been throwing wollys, clouser's, flash minnows and nothing.

What flies work for you and how do you fish them?

Thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 10:00 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bass in Golf Course Pond

I jsut discovered a new to pattern at a local fly show that is everything I have been looking for! It's the fly fishing equivalent to a senko. I'll snap some photos this evening and post them
Old 11-14-2012, 10:10 AM

thanks much appreciated
Old 11-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbanger20 View Post
I fish in a pretty active golf pond with large bass that love worms. I have been throwing wollys, clouser's, flash minnows and nothing.

What flies work for you and how do you fish them?

Thanks
This is probably obvious, but I have to ask, have you tried san juan worm patterns? I fished a small pond in Colorado last week that had smallmouth bass and crappie and an egg sucking leach in a rust color did very well.

Larry

Larry
Old 11-14-2012, 11:39 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

try tying on one of John Barr's Meat Whistles... Bass love this fly
Old 11-14-2012, 11:39 AM

how would you fish the SJ?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:10 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

try the SJ or "squirmie wormie" pattern (punch that into youtube and you'll see it).

There's no trick to it, just toss it out there and let it sink...then twitch like you would a plastic worm on a bass rod. Some people sneer at worm flies, but who gives a rat's ass.....they catch fish and they're really no different than tying any other flies using synthetic material.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:33 PM

Ill be sure to try it and give results this weekend. Thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd try those clousers again. There are big worm patterns to. If you are far enough South, poppers may still work. Might be to late for them anywhere even slightly North.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:31 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

i fish alot of golf course ponds. well actually thats all my freshwater fishing. gurglers are awesome. eat me flies work. polar fiber minnows. seaducers are awesome. topwater only at dusk and dawn