The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By wabi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 08:00 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default new 2wt rod

Winter is tough! Very little opportunity to get out and fish, so the mind (mine at least) gets to work overtime trying to figure out the perfect combination of rod, reel, line, fly, and fish to provide excitement.

Decided since I've never had a 2wt outfit I should try one.

Ordered a TFO Lefty Kreh Professional rod 8'0" 3pc 2wt to fill that empty hole me mind created.

I already had a reel with a DT2F line spooled (use it on my glass 3wt rod), so I was set to cast shortly after the rod arrived.

The morning after it arrived and I set it up (and lawn cast it for a while) I had a job that required driving past a farm pond that just happens to hold a good population of big bluegills. Since the weather has been unusually warm here and it was going to be warm again that day (my birthday BTW) I allowed a couple extra hours for the job (plumbing call).

Finished the job and on my return trip I stopped at the pond. Assembled the rod and tied on a #12 green weenie. Cast it and allowed the fly to slowly sink. As it was floating down I saw the leader twitch unnaturally, so I set the hook!

Click the image to open in full size.

Managed to catch several 8-10" 'gills and I must say even though they weren't up to much of a fight as compared to warmer water catches, they were still fun on the new outfit!
williamhj, itchmesir and sbreech like this.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:50 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: new 2wt rod

Nice Mike! I always enjoy your ultra-light stories. Do you even use a line heavier than a 3 anymore?
Old 11-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hey Tony, and Mike Too!!

I was just about to send a 'proof of life' PM to both of you guys

I'm sorry I didn't spot your birthday Mike but at least you got to go fishing, I know all about not being able to get out on the water during winter........ T, what have you been up to? I know that you guys don't live in the heart of the blue ribbon trout fishing but I also know that you love your fly rod gills and other species. One more thing I know is that when you aren't posting there is a little something missing on this board.

Good to hear from you both,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-23-2012, 02:11 PM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

I have a 6' TFO Signature 2wt and I just love it. I catch panfish and bass in the small local creeks. I haven't put a line on my 8.5' 5wt for 3 or 4 years.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:46 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hey Tony, and Mike Too!!

I was just about to send a 'proof of life' PM to both of you guys

I'm sorry I didn't spot your birthday Mike but at least you got to go fishing, I know all about not being able to get out on the water during winter........ T, what have you been up to? I know that you guys don't live in the heart of the blue ribbon trout fishing but I also know that you love your fly rod gills and other species. One more thing I know is that when you aren't posting there is a little something missing on this board.

Good to hear from you both,

Ard
Ard,
I would have questioned "life" this summer & fall. Our waters were so low & weed choked this year I finally gave up trying to fish.
For a few months there I was so depressed with the situation I couldn't even bring myself to discuss fishing.

All is well now, though. A new fly rod and catching a few fish has restored my will to live.

Quote:
Do you even use a line heavier than a 3 anymore?
I have plans on using my switch rod some this winter. There is a warmwater discharge into the Ohio river not too far from me that has some good fishing.
Going from a 2wt to an 11wt line when the snow falls.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:51 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

'Life' was questionable here as well this year. A hot spell (triple digits for several months, sustained) kept me off of the water practically from May to late Sept. Work has been busy (good thing), and here we are staring down the barrel of the hustle that is Christmas.

There is my 2012 in a nutshell....

Pfssshhhhh! (the sound of opening a pale ale) Here's to a more fishy 2013!

Thanks for caring enough to ask Ard!

Mike, I expect that you can find some Smallies behind that discharge this winter????!

Tony
Old 11-23-2012, 07:17 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Wabi,how do you find The Proffessional #2 Rod,I have one the same,even though I've only used it a couple of times,it's a nice Rod I found it to be on The Slow Side,probably because I mostly only use Fast Action Rods these days?
Brian.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liphookedau View Post
Hi Wabi,how do you find The Proffessional #2 Rod,I have one the same,even though I've only used it a couple of times,it's a nice Rod I found it to be on The Slow Side,probably because I mostly only use Fast Action Rods these days?
Brian.
Brian,
My favorite rod is the TFO Lefty Kreh Signature (I have the 3wt). This rod is slightly faster than the Signature series, but still close to what I would call a medium action. You have to consider that I also use cane & glass rods and they are what I base my description of a slow action rod on.

Tony,
Mostly stripers, wipers, and white bass in that water.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindogt View Post
Pfssshhhhh! (the sound of opening a pale ale) Here's to a more fishy 2013!
I could compare hard luck stories from this past season with the worst that can be offered. I was on the other end of the weather spectrum, it was 41* here on July 9th and it just kept raining. We got some breaks in the rain but it was just regrouping and preparing for the big push that began on the 13th of September. It rained into October and delivered the 100 year flood deal from Tok Junction to Western Kodiak. There was nowhere to fish except lakes but then you had to keep the pump running or the boat would fill up............... I hear ya, it was a tough year for some of us huh?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;