The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 08:30 AM

jedwards36 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: River smallie rod

So I'm getting that a fast 6 would be good. I'm just a little woried about the 6 not being able to handle large poppers. I won't throw anything under size 6( I've got a 5 for that) and no more than 1.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:13 AM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

if you already have a 5 (i missed that) then get the 7 the six probably wouldnt do that much for you.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:48 AM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

With the added info I would also recommend a 7 if not an 8. I use a 2 in the small creeks that I fish but I don't cast flies tied on 1's either. You should also try some helgamite patterns and a 'blind squirrel' if you tie your own.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:10 PM

I was thinking that. I might try and tie up some size 6-4 clousers over the winter. I know what patterns I need. Would a 7wt be adequate for 3"-4" size 6-4 clousers? I would like to use the same set-up for poppers and streamers.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:51 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Save yourself the time on wondering whether to get a 6 or 7 and just get yourself an Albright GPX 6/7 9' for $80
Old 12-16-2012, 02:39 PM

im going with the 7wt. its better to be a little over than a little under. plus i have a 5 weight already for smaller fish.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:16 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

To answer your earlier question.. yes a 7wt will cast those flies.. If I can do it with a 6wt.. you can easily do it with a 7wt
Old 12-17-2012, 04:08 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Diver Dan;507366]... I just think it's better to be overgunned than under gunned.

Dan's got it right in more ways than one

Since some of the States best smallie fishing is within a few miles from me...I fish for them 90% of the time. My go to rod is a Med-Fast 9' 6/7 I built a few years back. It will throw everything up to and including large poppers.

Largest smallie this year was only a 17' but last year I got 2 back to back 22".

Larry
Old 12-17-2012, 06:31 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedwards36 View Post
Would a 7wt be adequate for 3"-4" size 6-4 clousers? I would like to use the same set-up for poppers and streamers.
I use a 5 all the time with Clousers. I even throw smaller poppers on it. A 7 wt is fine. No problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45fisher View Post
last year I got 2 back to back 22".

Larry

Those are big big Smallies, and to get two is amazing. I wouldn't be fit to be around for a week after that if it had been me.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:43 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I use a 5 all the time with Clousers. I even throw smaller poppers on it. A 7 wt is fine. No problems.

Those are big big Smallies, and to get two is amazing. I wouldn't be fit to be around for a week after that if it had been me.
Concur!!!!