The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Warmwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   River smallie rod (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/305281-river-smallie-rod.html)

jedwards36 12-15-2012 05:18 PM

River smallie rod
 
Hello everyone, this would be my first post in the forum. I fish for river smallmouth almost exclusively. And it's mostly spin, But I've done a lot of pond bluegill fly fishing. So I'm looking for a new rod but can't decide beetween a 6wt or 7wt. What rod weight do you guys prefer, 6wt or 7wt? Keep in mind i will throw sizes 2-6 bass bugs 90% and size 6 woolly buggers the other 10%. Thanks

P.s the biggest smallmouth I've caught out of my river is 16inches.

axle27 12-15-2012 07:44 PM

Re: River smallie rod
 
I have a 7wt for smallies and light saltwater. I have no real preference, I just skip numbers in weights for rods (3, 5, 7... and 10; I was never good in math.

ted4887 12-15-2012 08:44 PM

Re: River smallie rod
 
Either one will do just fine. I'd personally lean toward the 7 wt just to give you a little extra strength for casting some of those bigger flies.

If you have good lucky with wooly buggers, give a Tequelly a try. I can guarantee you won't regret it.


Welcome to the forum!

tpo 12-15-2012 10:25 PM

Re: River smallie rod
 
The 7 wt would be the safe choice. It would do all you'd ever want, large flies, sinking/sink tip lines, long casts, etc. Given the size of the typical fish, a fast action 6 wt would be a little more sporting and you might enjoy it more. If you're not trying to chuck out long casts, you can always throw a 7wt line with the 6 wt rod, it will turnover the larger flies and I find over-lining my rods by one weight works pretty well, especially with floating lines. As usual, there's no definitive answer. Good luck!

Tom

caseywise 12-15-2012 10:45 PM

Re: River smallie rod
 
i've fished a 6 wt. and 7 wt. for smallies. although both are adequate, i would go with the 7 just because of the ability to throw bigger flies.

casey

dpreller 12-15-2012 11:03 PM

Re: River smallie rod
 
as said i fish similar situations and i use a fast action six with a 7 line on it. but thats because i enjoy the little lighter tackle and it lets the bluegills show off a little more . the safer choice would be the 7 if you wanted to make sure you could throw bigger heavier flies but if i gotta throw something that heavy ill use my light spinning stuff.

Guest1 12-16-2012 02:17 AM

Re: River smallie rod
 
I fish for Smallies a whole lot. I use a 5 most of the time but a 6 part of it. A 7 a bit more than the 6 and sometimes an 8. Given your choice I'd go with the 7 not because I use it more, cause I don't, but because I always opt for the bigger rod. A seven will not let you down With bigger poppers, or more importantly in wind.

Someday in the future if you want to get a few more rods you can always get the 5 and 6 weight rods. I just think it's better to be overgunned than under gunned. :teef:

P.S. I almost forgot, welcome to the forum! By the way where are you located? Oh, and check out the Smallie in my avatar.

caseywise 12-16-2012 03:11 AM

Re: River smallie rod
 
listen to the guru......:cool::cool::cool:
he is known as diver dan! the master of smb,pike,walleye,sturgeon,musky,moon eye, perch, crappie.......:teef:
lol:p

casey

wabi 12-16-2012 07:52 AM

Re: River smallie rod
 
I'm one of those nut cases that go the other way on rod selection. :rolleyes:

I fish for fun, not meat, so I usually pick a very light rod for the conditions I expect to face. Not much excitement in dragging in a 10" bluegill on a 5 or 6wt, but on a 2wt it isn't always easy.
Bass (LM or SM) with my 8wt would be the smart choice, but I'd probably use my 6wt just for the fun of it.

On the other hand I bought an 11' switch rod this summer that turned out to be heavier than I anticipated (throws an 8/9wt switch line or a 10 or 11wt WF line well) that I will use in the big river (the Ohio) this winter simply because I can cast huge flies long distances with it and I'm sure I'll be bragging if I can hook anything over 5 pounds. :eek:

axle27 12-16-2012 07:53 AM

Re: River smallie rod
 
Let me augment my original post by saying that I'm not the luckiest fisherman in the world. With that being said, I've never caught what I consider a big smallie. If I go where the sizes are not known to be big, I'd likely take the 5 for some fun. The 7 can wear you out if you cast it all day.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.