The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 03:00 PM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice
Default Re: Carpin

[quoteWhat do you all think about a carp forum??? We have great people here,maybe we could get one with some urging.
][/quote]

I like the idea personally. Get all the good info in one place so it is easier to get at. Great idea
Old 02-07-2013, 09:22 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

I have been trying and trying for carp with no luck... using backstabbers and crayfish flies. I'm using an 8 weight, furrelled leader, and tippet that is 20lb flouro to 12lb flouro. The line is an SA mastery textered magnum taper. But, I'm mostly blind fishing the carp. I have yet to land one... However, the water temp is very cold... Any tips, tricks, etc?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:35 AM

schaef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
I have been trying and trying for carp with no luck... using backstabbers and crayfish flies. I'm using an 8 weight, furrelled leader, and tippet that is 20lb flouro to 12lb flouro. The line is an SA mastery textered magnum taper. But, I'm mostly blind fishing the carp. I have yet to land one... However, the water temp is very cold... Any tips, tricks, etc?
My carp setup is a 10' 7 wt using a SA supra WF line. I go down to 8lb flouro and use a 10' leader. Blind fishing carp on the fly is tough, I've gotten a few that way but the vast majority I sight fish. Backstabbers and cray patterns are good choices but don't forget about the ever reliable woolybugger (black and olive). Another good pattern is a big honkin stonefly nymph, size 8 or 6.

I try and put my fly about 4 or 5 ft in front of them and most of the time they'll go right to it. If not then i give it a 1 inch twitch when they're about a foot away. I don't fish for them in cold water as they're usually in the deeper pools, but I would slow everything way down and just crawl the fly on the bottom.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:43 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Carpin

I would say that my leader is somewhere around 9-10 foot as well. The colors I'm using in backstabbers are all black, all black with legs, black body with purple marabou, brownish yellow body with a crayfish orange marabou, also one tied with legs. They're tied on teimco barbless hooks size 6.

---------- Post added at 08:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------

I figured that I would get catfish on this as well, but no luck with that either...
Old 02-07-2013, 10:58 AM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

It really depends on their forage. Out here on my home waters, if i put the fly 4 feet away from the fish I would never catch a carp. Their primary forage is freshwater clams, so they do not have to chase or pursue any prey. I have to get the fly within about 8 inches and then for the most part I just leave it there until they find it, and suck it up. They will only hold onto the fly for a split second because carp have a HIGHLY developed sense of taste. you have to keep in mind that they eat mostly by "tasting" a batch of sediment for food. They actually have a tongue inside their mouth (it can't extend) that they use to trap real food inside, and then they blow or eject the debris either out their mouth, or out their gills. this whole tasting process lasts less than a second.

So the real trick is to present a fly that will visually stimulate the fish into ingesting the fly (not easy, as they primarily graze along and simply trap food and eject debris) and then seeing the moment they take the fly and setting the hook at that exact moment.

Blind casting can be effective (not on my waters...) depending on their forage. if they are used to pursuing food and visual hunters, you can likely feel a take that way. if they are grazers, you will need to present the fly much closer to the fish and find some visual cue to detect the moment they ingest the fly. i know some guys that use strike indicators to help with this in murky water, but I have the bets luck by only casting to fish i can see (even if i can't see them clearly) and then watching for changes in body posture etc. and using those changes as the cue to set the hook.

especially in cold water, they are less likely to pursue food. It really comes down to knowing your forage. In my situation, i can count the number of takes i've "felt" on one hand...and that is in about 8-9 years of hardcore carp on the fly pursuit. i catch a couple of hundred carp a year, but the forage in my main water dictates that i simply don't get aggressive fish who will charge a fly. when i travel to lake MI, where the primary forage seems to be gobies, it is a totally different situation. we do catch them blind out there.

good luck man! I hope this helps!

Carp on the Fly
Old 02-07-2013, 11:06 AM

Default Carpin

I have seen some clam shells around the lakes. Not many, though. It's mostly a mud bottom lake. Shad lake as well. As for clarity, it's murky, very murky. Aside from frogs along the edge, I haven't seen any other forage... Tough situation, I guess.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:35 AM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

Wade out there a bit to feeding depth, and then reach in and dig up a big handful of the bottom...sift through it and you'll likely see nymphs, worms, etc. Keep in mind they can eat just about anything, including vegetation. Based on what you are saying, it is likely they are more grazers than hunters, so you will need to be right on them with your presentation, and right on them with your hookset/detecting the take. It is really hard to feel a take unless they are hunting/killing your fly.

Carp on the Fly
Old 02-07-2013, 11:37 AM

Default Carpin

We have rivers as well. I would assume that they might be a bit more aggressive there? Carp and catfish are very funny on the fly to me...
Old 02-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I use a 6 wt 9'er or a 10', or an 8' 8 wt. Many options. I use one of my 6' leaders with the special ingredient ;-)
I use 10 or 12 lb fluoro
I tried many, many flies and caught one or two on different choices, but 100's on the corn ball fly.
Blind fishing most the time, I started using a clear Thingamabobber and BAM! they are back.
No authority here, just know what keeps working for me.

I have caught a few sight fishing with a #12 Elk Hair Caddis in Olive or Yellow. Now that is fun!
Old 02-07-2013, 01:39 PM

schaef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
We have rivers as well. I would assume that they might be a bit more aggressive there? Carp and catfish are very funny on the fly to me...
I fish primarily rivers for carp and they can be aggressive at times. They patrol the gravel bars looking for crayfish, helgramites, stoneflies and other nymphs and worms in my area. The water clarity is pretty good most of the time so they're easy to spot but that also means you are easy to spot as well. You need to be very stealthy when they can easily see you, they will spook or refuse anything if they know you're there. They're pretty smart for fish.