The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 02:32 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Carpin

What is this cornball fly you speak of!?

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Also, I might have to get a few flouro furled leaders from you, soon.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carpin

I don't use fluoro for the leaders, but Kevlar. I do use fluoro for the tippet in 3' to 5' lengths. PM me an address.
The Corn ball is a Yellow chenille Glow Bug with a white softhackle collar. There was a tutorial on how to tie somewhere here. I will look around.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:04 PM

mattneeds is on a distinguished road

I usually use a small shrimp like pattern for tailing fish, can't think of the name...works out nicely though. Caught this one on a 7 weight Access.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:16 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Nice! I have an 8 weight Access rod that I use, myself. I do have another curious question though. Do any of your catch them on the swing at all?
Old 02-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Also while slowly stripping line in. There is a short time that the Carp are not spooked by anything and just hungry. Not a long period, but I find that later April or shortly after ice off.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:46 AM

Default Carpin

Ice just moved from my river, but I haven't caught anything yet. Of course, we have crazy weather that goes from 25 degrees one day to 60 degrees the next.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:58 AM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

It really depends on their main forage. On the Columbia...i have caught maybe 5 fish in 9 years by feel (swinging, stripping, etc). I went to ID last spring, and 50% of the carp I caught were landed by blind stripping leeches. If they are active and feed on items they have to hunt down you are in business.

Carp on the Fly
Old 02-08-2013, 12:17 PM

Default Carpin

Is strange how two similar rivers with same species can have such different forage eating habits...
Old 02-08-2013, 02:00 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

That is a big key point Delopez. I've caught carp in 7 states, and every single fishery was notably different. While a lot of flies will work in a lot of places (carp can and do eat just about anything) there really is no magic fly for all locations. That said...there is probably a magic or go to fly for your location. You just have to figure out the main forage and go from there in my opinion. Out here, I catch about 80% of my carp on this:

I think the worm tail is often taken for the extended foot of a clam. I caught this big guy on the fly above:

Good luck man...you'll get 'em this spring!

Carp on the Fly
Old 02-08-2013, 02:03 PM

Default Carpin

What is that? Damselfly representation? Dragonfly?