The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 10:45 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default First musky on the fly

I headed out this past weekend to see if I could catch my first musky on the fly.
I was using a new Batson RX8 9wt that I just picked up from the rod builder the night before. It was paired with the new kraken and S.A. pike/musky line.

I tied up a few flies the night before and really ended up liking one in particular. It was similar to the hang time fly, but tied a bit differently - I think easier. It is a fire tiger theme with a ton of flash. I have used firetiger lures at this particular lake a lot with good success so I figured the fly would be effective in that scheme as well.

The weather was quite cold and got colder as the day progressed. On the third cast, I had a follow already. About 10 feet from the boat I gave the fly a nice long pause and watched him slowly move in until he was about 6 inches from the fly where he just stopped. I let him sit for a second and then gave the fly a twitch. The fur, feathers, and flash pulsated causing him flare those gills, open that mouth, and annihilate the fly.

I set the hook and it was game on. Since he was so close to the boat, and the not the biggest musky in the pond, the fight was brief. I got him CPR'ed and swimming pretty quickly. He measured right at 32.
Click the image to open in full size.

I kept casting for a couple of hours as the weather got colder and colder. Eventually the line was just too hard to deal with and the guides were icing up. I spent more time cleaning ice than I did casting so I put the fly rod away. A few hours later, on a firetiger jerkbait, I got my second musky of the day.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:55 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First musky on the fly

SWEET!!! Great looking fish! Now that's my kind of Christmas present! Icey guides are always a pain! Congratulations!
brookfieldangler likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 12-26-2012, 01:02 PM

rem308 is on a distinguished road

Great job man, that is a good looking muskie. Can we get a better look at the fly that you tied?
Old 12-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Congats. That is a really pretty fish. What strain Musky do you have in that lake? They have a really interesting pattern on them.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:41 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Congats. That is a really pretty fish. What strain Musky do you have in that lake? They have a really interesting pattern on them.
Thanks!

The musky in this lake are all pure musky - not tigers. The original stocking of this particular lake was most likely a mix of fish from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio and Pennsylvania breeders. Many current stockings most likely come from one the states 2 hatcheries that is fed by eggs collected from musky now living in Indiana.

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem308 View Post
Great job man, that is a good looking muskie. Can we get a better look at the fly that you tied?
Thank you.

I've retired that fly as a model/trophy. There are a few things I want to change on it and once I get it perfected, I'll post an SBS
Old 12-26-2012, 02:05 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Awesome! They are still on my list of fish to catch here. I can get to a lake with them in about 30-40 minutes.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 12-26-2012, 06:36 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

very nice. musky on fly is on my list for sure.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:59 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on a great looking Musky and better yet on a fly you tied!

Larry

Old 12-26-2012, 07:36 PM

flyfisher4life1 is on a distinguished road

NICE MAN!!! I want to catch a Musky on my fly rod, just waiting for summer.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:45 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

congrats on some great fishing!
i have a pretty decent musky lake close to home but have yet to hook up.

casey

ARFE