The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 09:58 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Looking for Bass Rod

I'll throw in another vote for Redington Predator.. I own a 9wt.. nice rod.. no issues chucking the fluff with it.. you definitely want a line that is either a half weight heavy.. or over line by 1-2wts.. It is a bit heavy of a rod too.. But otherwise this rod is built like a tank.. and performs well
Old 12-29-2012, 11:40 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I love my TFO BVK's for smallmouth fishing. I own two, and there is a good chance I'll add a 9wt to the fleet this year as well. Hard to beat TFO's warranty and customer service too.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:47 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I purchased a Ross FlyStik a few years back (6wt 7'11") and love that rod!

The shorter length has been fine for me and I can lay out as much (or more) line with it than I could with my St Croix 9' 6wt.

Thinking seriously of getting another FlyStik in 10wt for water where there are larger fish to target (stripers).
Old 12-29-2012, 12:08 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

There's a FlyStik really cheap right now on the auction site
Old 12-29-2012, 03:57 PM

troutbanger20 is on a distinguished road

Has anyone used the Sage Approach?
Old 12-30-2012, 01:48 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

I also have and fish a 6wt Redington Predator and love it.Its really a 7wt rod,not a 6wt and will lay out long cast easily and very accurately.Nice to fish from a canoe.Truth is any rod from 8' to 9' will work for bass.You dont need any special rod for the job but you do need a good line to throw the bugs.I like the Wulff lines,bass taper and SWF taper.Both lines work well.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:32 PM

troutbanger20 is on a distinguished road

Yeah the predator is starting to look like a front runner. I am curious about the sage approach though it is a sage which is nice plus it is a heavier rod
Old 01-03-2013, 01:10 PM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

I can offer some insight on two ends of the cost spectrum.

I have a 7wt Murray-Scott Bass rod that I got to fish for smallies in the Potomac and Shenandoah watersheds when I lived in the valley. It is a remarkable rod built by Scott Rod Co. to Harry Murray's specifications that can cast big bugs and still protect smaller tippets. It has proven to be a great steelhead rod, too now that l live in Ohio. If you are going to be casting big bugs for largemouth I would consider the 8wt rod.

They are not cheap, however, $725, but in my world well worth every cent, because this is my life.

For the casual bass chaser and a more reasonable alternative, you can pick up a Redington RS4 for $40 on eBay, Sierra Trading, or Cabela's Bargain Cave that I think will do most of what you want. Lifetime warranty if you by from a retrailer! I always have my 5wt and 8wt RS4's banging around in the truck just in case I get a few minutes at lunch to chase some fish.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbanger20 View Post
Yeah the predator is starting to look like a front runner. I am curious about the sage approach though it is a sage which is nice plus it is a heavier rod
Redington.. owned by Sage.. So save some cash and go with the Predator
Old 01-03-2013, 10:20 PM

attila will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
Echo edge 84 great smallmouth for just over $200. Check it out great bass rod.
+1 on the Echo 8-4 I've got a Sage Bass2 and love it but it is a specialty rod and not really what you are asking for.