The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 10:04 PM

troutbanger20 is on a distinguished road

That's interesting that Redington is owned by sage that makes me really want to buy one.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:01 AM

mcphoto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking for Bass Rod

I'll throw a vote out there for the Redington Predator. It's quite the broomstick but the 7'10" 8wt can really chuck a big line like an Outbound Short/Titan Taper and has no problem with a 300gr sink tip. When throwing junk, I almost prefer the shorter length because i feel like I can just chuck and duck without having to carry much line.

I'll also put a vote in for the Echo Ion. I don't know if there is a better rod in that price range. Echo's customer service is second to none and their warranty is almost silly.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:49 PM

hi tide is on a distinguished road

I own 3 predators 6,8,9. I really like the predatator they are fast powerful rods and are quality for the price. I owned a 8 and 9 BVK, they too are nice rods and very light and cast great but break a little easier. For a bass rod I would rather go with the predatator I think it can cast big nasty bass patterns easier.
Click the image to open in full size.
itchmesir likes this.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:16 PM

alex2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi tide View Post
I own 3 predators 6,8,9. I really like the predatator they are fast powerful rods and are quality for the price. I owned a 8 and 9 BVK, they too are nice rods and very light and cast great but break a little easier. For a bass rod I would rather go with the predatator I think it can cast big nasty bass patterns easier.
I have the #8. Have you played with different lines over this rod and what were you'r thoughts.

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:55 PM

On my 6wt I had the rio redfish line which was really good, the short heavy head loaded the rod quick and turned over big patterns. I currently have on airflo bonefish line, it to work well for this rod. On my 8wt I tried the rio bonefish line, it was ok didn't load the rod as well, I put on the airflo bonefish line and I'm really happy with it.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:50 PM

kingofamberley is on a distinguished road

Is that a 6 wt with a fighting butt? I like that a lot. Seems like an ideal smallmouth river rod.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofamberley View Post
Is that a 6 wt with a fighting butt? I like that a lot. Seems like an ideal smallmouth river rod.
Yes that is a 6wt with a fighting butt.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:41 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

You might consider one of the new Colton TradeWinds rods. If you buy a 7wt you should not need to put a 8wt line on it. It is actually designed to cast the proper class line. I have a 9wt and it is will cast a long line. This is thier new model. The old model rods were quite fast and I overlined the 7wt that I have but it sure is a powerful rod with mucho backbone. I am quite happy with both of my Coltons.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:04 AM

troutbanger20 is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for Bass Rod

Thanks ill look into to it and see if I can cast one at my local shop
Old 01-20-2013, 06:08 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I've got a Sage bass rod and I think its a great rod. I like the Bass II even more, mainly cause the reel seat is red now. Its a beastly rod that really hucks some chicken fluff.

Redington does seem to have a pretty big following though, they are making some new rods this year I wouldnt mind owning. I still keep thinking about picking up a Classic trout since a few can be found still.

Storm Drain Bonefisher