The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 07:16 PM

troutbanger20 is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for Bass Rod

Looking for a bass rod 7wt in the 200-300 price range.

I have already looked at the Sage Approach, St. Croix $220-250 model(i forgot name), TFO Clouser, and reddington's in the the 250 range.

Let me know if you can speak on these above or have other suggestions. Thanks
Old 12-28-2012, 10:49 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Looking for Bass Rod

I personally haven't used any of the rods you mentioned so I'm not much help there. In your price range I would reccomend a TFO TiCR X or BVK, if you do a some online searching, you may get lucky and find some Sage Bass (yellow and red in color) rods that are discounted. I have a few TiCr X's that I got for pretty cheap and they are very capable of throwing huge flies and pulling bass through thick cover.

-Chase
Old 12-28-2012, 11:07 PM

Thanks I'll check those out
Old 12-28-2012, 11:29 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see those 'Bass' rods lasting for to long. They made them short for the rod rules for BASS tournaments. They are less than 8' long. I hate short rods. Unless you plan to fish a tournament with it I can't really think of a reason to get one, and the colors are hideous.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:47 PM

Haha I know exactly what you are talking about, like the Sage Bass/Bas II series. The rods I listed are all multi use and 8'6" or longer. I simply mean that I want a good 7wt rod that will be used mainly for bass fishing so I need it to be able to handle big flies (bugs, clousers, weighted streamers) and cast far and accurately.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:50 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I don't see those 'Bass' rods lasting for to long. They made them short for the rod rules for BASS tournaments. They are less than 8' long. I hate short rods. Unless you plan to fish a tournament with it I can't really think of a reason to get one, and the colors are hideous.

It really depends on how you are fishing.

If you are on a boat, working the shoreline and weed beds making short casts over and over (think of the way you see the pro bass guys fishing lures) they are fantastic.

I've fished both my Redington Predator and the Sage version and I love them.

If I was hiking into a river for smallmouth I would not carry it, but many people I know that fish for bass from a boat here in AZ have at least one. I usually string up 3 rods on the boat. My 8WT and 6WT BVKs get sinking line and my 8WT Predator with big top water stuff.

They would not be a great do it all rod, but they definitely add something good.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:55 PM

Yeah that predator looks great and I could use it if I ever traveled and needed a bigger rod
itchmesir likes this.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:54 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbanger20 View Post
Yeah that predator looks great and I could use it if I ever traveled and needed a bigger rod

Keep in mind that I said it is not a do everything rod. It does some stuff very well and well worth having, but not as your only rod.

It's also VERY fast. I was surprised when I cast the Sage Bass II that it is not as fast as the Predator.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:57 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Echo edge 84 great smallmouth for just over $200. Check it out great bass rod.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:38 AM

Thanks I will