The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By riverbilly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 06:20 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice
Default New Rod - Where's the "warmwater"

Added to the collection, I've been wanting a nice 8wt. This will do.

Click the image to open in full size.

As soon as I got it the weather turned crappy, I've only used it once so far.
I've fished in some cold weather before, but it's the first time this has happened.

It seems to catch fish.

This trip I also got to try out a different kayak. My buddy bought a new one, a Native Watercraft Slayer 14.5, so I took out his Diablo Chupacabra. Crazy name but a great river kayak. It's about the only kayak I trust to stand in, though I quickly found out that I'd need a stripping basket of some sort to stand.

The coming weekend is looking like better weather so it'll get a good workout soon.

pete a likes this.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:30 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Rod - Where's the "warmwater"

David: Congrats on the new rod! The guide ice is pretty common here in WY if you want to get out and fish in the winter. We did a float in Sept and when we left the house it was 19 degrees F so we had quite a bit of ice in the guides to deal with until about 11 am or so, but the streamer fishing was worth the effort.

Larry

Old 01-09-2013, 10:06 PM

attila will become famous soon enough

Ive been using my BVK 8wt. for a few years now and love it. Good choice David.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:27 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

If you think it was cold there, look how they are getting around on the lake here.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:18 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
If you think it was cold there, look how they are getting around on the lake here.

lol!
looks like some of the rigs moose hunters up in ak (at one point my dad had an old cushman trackster) would use to get around!

casey

ARFE
Old 01-10-2013, 08:48 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

I love the BVK in all weights, the best bang for the buck in fly rods right now IMO.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:51 AM

frogg will become famous soon enoughfrogg will become famous soon enough

Even with a little ice, it looks like you had a good day out.

Chris
Old 01-10-2013, 09:41 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Good looking rod!
I bought my first TFO last summer (Signature) and added another this fall (Pro).
I'd say the TFO rods are a great value in rods.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:47 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

Yea, being a native Texan, I'm a bit of a cold weather wimp. It was 27 degrees when we put-in, that's about my limit on the water. But when you need to fish, you need to fish.

I did my research and the BVK kept coming up as a great rod. I have the TFO Pro II for my 5wt. and like it. First cast in the yard I knew I was going to love the BVK.

Thanks all.