The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By riverbilly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 10:40 PM

cjam93 is on a distinguished road
Default River warming up for largemouth

Hey guys I was wondering usually around what time of the year do you start fishing the rivers again for largemouth? I know some people say you can year round, but when it gets this cold it seems the bite is just gone.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:26 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: River warming up for largemouth

right after ice-out... that is if you have ice where you live
Old 01-14-2013, 01:21 AM

cjam93 is on a distinguished road

I have always fished lakes until very recently. When it gets cold, do you switch up much that you are doing to find the fish in the river? In a lake of course you fish slower and deeper, but in the river it would seem that deeper isnt usually an option.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:36 PM

bigpikeflies is on a distinguished road

I do typically go slower and run stuff deep, but i concentrate on the deepest slowest pools. Often the fish move there in order to get out of the current. Being neutral and non active, this saves them energy. I also go a little smaller on flies, again because they are not as active.

Formerly Gar
Old 01-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Gar! Where the heck have you been? I thought maybe you fell in a hole or something.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:46 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

Luckily I can fish year round, but it's still cold enough in winter.

For winter river fishing I do fish the deeper holes and deeper in the channel and work the fly slower, though if the weather warms up some, the fish will come up to more shallow water to look for food. Last weekend the air temp was 65 and the water temp around 55, I was catching bass on topwaters in the afternoon.

I also change the type of cover I fish. The grass and vegetation dies off in the winter so I'm fishing wood, rocks, any kind of current break.

Winter fishing for me means crawfish, so most flies I use will be crawfish patterns and colors.

Though it might be counterintuitive to what some people say, I'll throw a larger bait on slow days, the fish has to judge the amout of energy it will use to catch the pry to the amount of energy it will get, bigger food equals more energy. Just have to find that hungry fish.
Sep likes this.