The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 02:22 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all
Default Re: Is an 8 wt too much rod for smallmouth?

My take...

8 weights get promoted for Smallmouth by guides for two reasons, clients on the lower end of the spectrum of casting ability need an 8 weight to cast the large flies typically used for chasing big Smallies and it also is a clever form of marketing to make the average client think the fish they will catch will pull like many saltwater species associated with 8 weights, which indeed, big Smallmouth can be a ton of fun on an 8 weight.

You could also consider the fact, most anglers have an 8 weight and many don't have a 7, so you get that extra bonus that the client can use his favorite Bonefish rod for Smallies and makes him feel better about dropping the coin for a rod that previously, he only used once or twice a year.

Don't get me wrong, not bashing people whom use an 8, just think those are the main reasons you see them suggested on so many guides websites.

However, I personally think they are over-kill, I would never consider anything over a 7 weight for Smallies, and if it's a saltwater taper, I wouldn't go heavier than a 6 weight in many cases.

You can cast an entire fly line into a decent wind with the biggest of Deer Hair Divers with a good 7 weight and the average Smallie is going to be a LOT more fun on a 7 than an 8.

That's my take...

Last edited by kwb; 01-29-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:36 PM

mikee is on a distinguished road

I use my Scott A3 8' 6wt rod for fishing Smallies in the small ozark streams and river around me. I have no problem casting streamers or bass bugs in the wind.I really love the feel when you hook into about a 2 or 2 1/2 pounder on a 6wt rod. You really get to "feel" the fish
Old 01-29-2013, 11:50 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i have a 10' 7 weight and a 9' 6 weight that i fish for bronzies....u could use a 5 or an 8, the 8 wiil work in certain situations as would the 5.
for me 7 wt is prime

casey

ARFE