The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 07:49 PM

spinsheet is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Brand new from Annapolis Maryland

Big Jim,

Thanks for all of the information! I just joined the CCA and I most certainly will be at Tiefest. I went there about five years ago and had a great time. Not sure why I didn't follow up with it but oh well, I'm hooked now so it really doesn't matter.

I'll probably go with a 5 wt rod, seems to be a good balance for what I'm looking for. If things go well I might get something heavier down the road as I wouldn't mind fishing for rockfish in the Bay but you have to start somewhere.

My Uncle has a small pond on his farm and I know that 20 years ago when I used to fish it it was simply crawling with Bluegill so I'm looking forward to going after them with a fly rod. Nothing better than fresh panfish on the grill.

I'm really enjoying the fly tying class at Bass Pro. The first class we were taught how to tie Woolly Buggers and now I must have 50 of the things in my house. Wife thinks I'm nuts. Tomorrow we learn to tie something else, looking forward to that. I just need to remember not to leave my receipts laying around the house, wife wasn't too happy about that. So much for a 'free' class...

I remember using a hula popper with my baitcaster for Largemouth so I'm looking forward to tying something similar for the fly rod.

Thanks everyone for all of the great advice, I can't wait for this weather to break so I can see how well my flies actually work
Old 01-23-2013, 07:53 PM

brian miville has a spectacular aura aboutbrian miville has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinsheet View Post
Big Jim,

I remember using a hula popper with my baitcaster for Largemouth so I'm looking forward to tying something similar for the fly rod.
Ask and ye shall receive!

Old 01-23-2013, 09:26 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Brian, Arbogast also made a fly rod version that had a single hook in the body, like most of the bass poppers we make have. They were shaped cork instead of molded plastic. That one you've pictured may or may not be the right size for a 5 wt, but it's cool to see them.

Stewart's Dancing Frog Popper, is a deer hair copy of the Hula Popper, and works as well.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:46 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Welcome to the forum you'll find lots of good stuff here, least of which is what follows:

I'm in Virginia. I regularly fish farm ponds for LM bass and the shenandoah for smallies. For both I use 9' 5wt and 7wt. The former is a medium action which does great most of the time, but I reach for the latter (a tip flex/fast action) when the wind pickups or I want to throw big, hairy, feathery bass flies.

I sometimes take along a 8'6 full flex/slow action 3wt. It doesn't throw big flies but it can throw average size poppers. And being a full flex rod and a 3wt it makes those pan fish feel bigger and more fun! I've landed pan fish on the 5 and 7wts and it was no fun at all. You can literally whip em right out of the water if you're not careful.

That's my 2 cents! By all means ENJOY!

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 01-24-2013, 06:00 AM

brian miville has a spectacular aura aboutbrian miville has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
Brian, Arbogast also made a fly rod version that had a single hook in the body, like most of the bass poppers we make have. They were shaped cork instead of molded plastic. That one you've pictured may or may not be the right size for a 5 wt, but it's cool to see them.

Stewart's Dancing Frog Popper, is a deer hair copy of the Hula Popper, and works as well.
Yeah I do remember seeing that one too many years ago, but could not seem to find any after a quick search though. I am guessing both the one I linked and the much smaller one are no longer made???? A pity. I love hula poppers on my light weight spinning rod.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:20 AM

I'll have to dig around in my basement for my old 1970s era Hula Popper...
Old 03-25-2013, 07:01 AM

OK, got my rod. I went to Great Feathers (north of Baltimore) and bought a Grey rod and reel. It's a 9' 5wt, seems really nice, a lot nicer than the Bass Pro brand I think (and a bit pricier).

I also went to Tie Fest with my 11 year old daughter. She has tied about 100 pink flies since then! Good times

I'm also heading up to the Manistee River in MI in late June and going to try out my rod on some trout. I've never been river fishing so this ought to be interesting!

Thanks for all of the info!