The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 AM

spinsheet is on a distinguished road
Default Brand new from Annapolis Maryland

Hello all, I'm a brand new fly fisherman from Annapolis Maryland. I used a borrowed fly rod about 30 years ago for about a year and haven't touched one since. I have no idea if I was even using the thing properly as I had no instruction whatsoever.

I did sign up for a fly tying class at Bass Pro shop and had my first one last week and it was lots of fun. I now have about 50 flies in my house...

I've fished a lot in lakes and farm ponds using baitcasters and spinning reels but not much at all with fly rods. I plan on fishing mainly farm ponds for Largemouth, crappie, and bluegill although since I live five minutes from the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries I wouldn't be too averse to fishing there for pearch, sea trout, and the occasional rockfish.

As I am a complete and total fly fishing newbie I have a lot of questions. What weight rod do I need? A 5 weight rod? Is the the Dogwood Canyon fly rod set from Bass Pro any good? I'm looking to get something affordable for my first rod and reel while I muck around trying to figure out exactly what I want.

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

Oh, and one more thing. What flies seem to work best for Largemouth in this area?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:45 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brand new from Annapolis Maryland

Welcome! I'll let folks more familiar with your area answer your questions but I'm sure you'll find a lot of helpful folks here.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:46 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Welcome! I saw your post on another site & replied there too. I'm in Arnold.

I don't know anything about that Dogwood Canyon rod so can't give you any opinion. Depending on your budget, Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) rods are very good.

For pond fishing a 5 wt should be fine, unless you're more interested in bass, then a 6 wt would be better IMO. Of course if you're primary interest is bass, then a 7 or 8 wt would be better still, because the lighter rods will limit the size flies you can cast. However, the heavier rods will be more than you need for the majority of panfish in this area.

Flies are easy, most anything will work in a pond, but it's a good idea to have some variety of sizes & both those that float & those that sink. You'll get various opinions about fly sizes, for panfish & bass. IMO you really don't need to go smaller than flies tied on size 8 hooks. Most of the time, any time I'm chasing panfish, I rarely go smaller than a size 6, and use size 4 most often. When you get smaller, particularly in our area, you'll get a lot of small fish swallowing the flies deep, making them hard to release & harming the fish. I miss many smaller fish with the size 4 hooks, but that's fine with me.

Poppers & sliders are good pond flies for topwater, and most any "buggy" looking flies for subsurface will be eaten. A few baitfish patterns are not a bad idea either. Crappies, Bass & perch all like baitfish flies, and even Bluegills will eat them. Woolly Buggers are a good pattern style that imitates many things so if you have them, that's a good start.

Largemouth flies for this area again don't need to be specific patterns. There are many that will work well just as a variety of lures will work. I use different pattern types, and they'll all work.

I'm a big fan of flies tied with rabbit strips, and the older styles such as Deceivers, Clouser Minnows, Half & Half's & Seaducers. These will also all work well for other area species such as Pickerel, and some of the panfish such as White & Yellow Perch. Some variety of sizes is a good idea.

As far as fly colors, you can get as complicated as you wish or as simple. Anything with a base color of white is always good for baitfish patterns. I like those that have black, olive or gray backs combined with white, which will imitate most anything that swims around here. I also use a lot of chartreuse, & black. Other colors will have there place too. For insect type patterns, I use olives & black most, but tans & browns can be productive at times. For Buggers, all colors will work, but again I use white, olive & black the most.

I mentioned the up coming Tiefest in my other post too. That's a great event that you should consider attending. There will be many fly tiers there that you can get some great advise from, and watch them tying. Check the CCA MD website for information. There's also been casting instruction at that event too. Lefty Kreh has given casting demonstrations the last few years, and you would be hard pressed to find a better person to learn some casting from.
mcnerney, shotgunfly and spinsheet like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-22-2013, 03:11 PM

tennessee dave will become famous soon enoughtennessee dave will become famous soon enough

Welcome. A little research will reveal that most will recommend a 5wt rod but a little digging will convince you that the 6wt is probably the best bet if you are going to limit yourself to just one rod.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

spinsheet to the forum
Old 01-22-2013, 03:23 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

head to the susky flats in spring for the rockfish. the rivers in that area hold some nice bass, try hair poppers, and decievers in the local bait colors. A worm fly works around the thick grassy areas too.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Spinsheet: Welcome to the forum! I can't help much with your question, but it looks like the others are offering some great advice.
Sounds like you live in a great area for fly fishing, looking forward to reading about your fishing adventures!

Old 01-22-2013, 08:12 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Sounds like you live in a great area for fly fishing, looking forward to reading about your fishing adventures!
There are a lot of opportunities here for a fly fisher, both in freshwater & tidal.

Take away the pollution & other environmental issues, the access problems inherent to such a densely populated area, the issues involving recreational versus commercial interests and the politics, and it would almost be like paradise!
il_wi_fishing likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:20 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

welcome to the forum spinsheet
lots of good folks here with lots of good answers.
as far as bass pro stuff, i have no idea. my choice, if doable, would be the new allen combos on sale.

ATS Series Combo Package - Allen Fly Fishing Store

casey

ARFE
Old 01-23-2013, 11:15 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

to the forum and the addiction. Poppers, clousers, deceivers, and dahlberg divers are a great place to start when bass fishing. Unless they are on the smaller side you are going to need something a little heavier than a 5wt rod, I speak from experience. My first two years fly fishing I tried casting heavier flies without much success at all, you just find that you get really frustrated. Hope this helps some.