The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By bigjim5589

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 11:38 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Recently Tied!

Took a couple of days off from work & had a long weekend. Spent it away at a resort in VA with my wife, son, daughter in law & grandsons. Was nice to spend time with the family, but the whole weekend was primarily for the kids, so I took along a tying bag. I like swimming pools as much as anyone, but a hundred screaming kids in not my idea of fun!

Here's the result of a few hours of my kind of fun!

Can never have enough chartreuse & white Clousers! Mostly 1/0's & a couple of 3/0. Epoxy on the heads will finish them.
Click the image to open in full size.

A couple of barbell eyed buggers. Size 1, Daiichi Worm Hooks.

A Clouser tied with Polar Flash.

Spinner Flies! I didn't have enough spinners with me to complete all of them. Size 4 Matzuo Sickle hooks.

Finally, some Shad Flies with tungsten bead heads. Size 4, 3X streamer hooks.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-22-2013, 01:37 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: Recently Tied!

Nice flies! I had some pistol pete flies (spinner blade, woolly bugger looking thing) and could NOT lift the fly up off the water to save my life....even with a 6 weight. I'd rather cast a full sink line than a spinner fly.

Have you fished those yet? If so, I assume you're using something like an 8 weight? maybe that makes it easier.....
Old 01-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Nice work on the flies, congrats! I totally understand about the 100 screaming kids at the pool, I feel the same way.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:08 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Have you fished those yet? If so, I assume you're using something like an 8 weight? maybe that makes it easier.....
Thanks for the comments!

I've not fished with these as yet, but have used similar in the past with my 6 wt. This type of spinner is a little easier to pick up than a propeller type IMO.

Leader & tippet length & sizing may have some bearing on it too. When using a spinner I'll use a leader & tippet combo that is only about 6- 61/2 ft long & taper to about an 8 or 10lb test. This isn't exactly finesse fishing!

I can also throw these with an ultralight spinning rod, which may be how I end up using them.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-22-2013, 02:43 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Cool -- that makes sense.

I came from spin fishing and have no argument with it -- it works and is fun too.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:56 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Great stuff! That Polar Flash Clouser is a beauty and a big catcher I'll bet!

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

Those shad flys are nice! Have you used them?
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-22-2013, 04:59 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I like the idea of two thread colors on the Clousers.
That little bit of red really stands out!
Old 01-22-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
I like the idea of two thread colors on the Clousers.
That little bit of red really stands out!
I'm not sure the fish care one way or another, but I like it. It's a bit of a throw back to days when streamers had red gills or throats added, which many did. Might help sometimes I think. It's Danville's Depth Ray flat nylon in Fl. Red. Been tying them that way for many years.

Boz, I really like the Polar Flash! I've used similar Shad flies in years past. Most are very simple, and small, but I've caught enough shad by accident on bigger stuff to know they'll still strike at these. I've seen guys using big lead head Shad Darts catch some really big shad too.

Thanks for the comments!

Old 01-22-2013, 05:39 PM

fishingfly will become famous soon enough

I second the red throat, seems as though that extra color is not only more realistic but it helps grad thier attention as well. That synthetic clouser looks good, too, will last forever.

Make sure to like our facebook page for a chance to win free flies!