The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 10:38 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default plastic grubs?

Hi -- I saw post about this on another forum and was wondering about using grubs on a fly rod.

I caught a lot of fish on them with spinning gear, and I would guess that the smaller ones are not too burdensome to cast on a 6-8 weight rod. Anyhow, I'm not having any problems catching fish on traditional flies...just thinking about trying out something new for kicks.

Anyone tried this? I personally have no moral objection to this -- just wondering what I could expect. If anyone HAS done this, what size did you use? 1/32, 1/64?

Thanks --
Old 01-23-2013, 11:04 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: plastic grubs?

I've used the smallest sized Sluggos (they don't cast well) and have also cut the twister tails off of grubs to tie flies with..... but that was before you could buy them just for that purpose.

Click the image to open in full size.
itchmesir likes this.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:11 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I use to tip flies with Power Maggot when the fishing was really slow.. would get those early deep lethargic pannies to hit more readily
Old 01-23-2013, 11:15 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I've tried about anything that can be tried with a fly rod, at one time or another. I've tried spoons, spinners & tiny jigs on a fly rod many times. ( You replied in my Spinner Fly thread!)

I also have no qualms about using such things, especially when I'm after panfish.

Those small grubs, like the 1 to 2" sizes can work very well, particularly if you're chasing various panfish species.

Get yourself some various packs of cheap straight eye, Aberdeen style hooks, and be sure to get some with different shank lengths to fit the grubs. I always liked the gold plated hooks. Even Aberdeen jig hooks can be used, but the other hooks are cheaper in price. Add some bead heads for weight, and tie in some soft hackle, or Flashabou as a collar, keep the shank bare, or add a thread base coated with Sally Hansens, then after the cement has dried, thread your grubs onto the hook. You can get all kinds of weight combinations with beads, including plastic or glass beads. If you use the grubs that are transparent, a thread base on the hook shank of a different color, such as the fluorescent colors can add a different look to them. Some of the fine micro braided mylars make a good base too, add some flash & help hold the grub on the shank better.

These are killer on panfish, and can be used with or without an indicator (float) if you wish.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:58 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I've been using plastics for panfishing thru the ice for the past several years and they work great. Actually better than live bait in most circumstances. There are alot of different brands and designs, here are a couple of links to give you an idea as to what they look like -

Ice Fishing Finesse Plastics

IceFishingTime.com - Home of 'The Whip'! The Original Soft Plastic Ice Fishing Tail

Probably about thirty years ago I used something similar on a fly rod for blue gills. It was a soft rubber grub on a unweighted hook. The secret was to cast it out, and let it slowly sink. You'd watch your leader and it would twitch when the fish took the grub. It was extremely effective. It worked great in still water down to about 6 or 7 feet, much deeper and it took too long for the grub to sink if the fish were located on the bottom.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 01-23-2013, 01:28 PM

caribe is on a distinguished road

Twister tail type grubs can be extremely effective. I thread a 1-2 inch twister tail through a size 10 hook and have a great time catching gill, perch, crappie, and bass. The problem is keeping the twister tail grub on the hook. This problem can be solved by tying 2-3 barbs on the hook shank that will keep the twister tail in place. Using 20lb mono tying in a small peice of mono so that it is a a 45 degree angle pointing forward. A couple of these barbs will keep the twister tail on your hook. Add bead chain eyes (clouser style) or a bead head if you like. The barbs will allow you to replace the twister tail on site when your "fly" gets ripped up or if you want to change colors. I admit I do not these as much as I used to but for a begining fly fisherman I think the fish will hold on to the grub a little longer allowing a little more time to learn to set the hook. The rubber on the grubs does get heavy for 2-3 wt rods.
caribe
Old 01-28-2013, 07:42 PM

jedwards36 is on a distinguished road

Put a 1-2" grub on a short shanked hook, and use A SINKING TIP! biggest part is the SINKING TIP! its a great way to do it.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:00 PM

roadkill1948 is on a distinguished road

I use lots of grubs and swim baits. Two things 1) the twister tails add a lot of wind resistance and can lead to twisted tippets 2) I use instant glue to attach the baits to the hooks, makes a big difference.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:16 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Quote:
I use lots of grubs and swim baits. Two things 1) the twister tails add a lot of wind resistance and can lead to twisted tippets 2) I use instant glue to attach the baits to the hooks, makes a big difference.
I don't use the swimbaits with a fly rod, specifically because of the issues you mention. IMO, they're better used with other tackle. The grubs not as big an issue.

Also, I do use glue (Pro's Soft Bait Glue) with bigger plastics & other tackle, but not with fly tackle. Glues are too messy & the small grubs get torn up fairly quickly. I like to be able to change the plastic fast and the glue hinders that.
Glues are a much better choice when fishing from a boat where you can set the bottle/tube well out of the way, and I fish from my Gheenoe more so when fishing for panfish. I would also probably end up gluing my fly line to my hand!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!