The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 09:04 PM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice
Default What a start to the 2013 season!!!!

i'm still shaking from my fishing trip today! i had a day of vacation to burn at work so i took it today with the expected highs in the 60's. it was mostly overcast so i just decided to not target any specific fish...just go and have fun. i grabbed my TFO 5wt. with an Allen trout reel and drove 2 miles to the nearest creek. i went straight to alot of my familiar panfish/crappie pools. no luck at any, so i headed upstream working a crawdad pattern most of the way. i caught 2 small bass and then i cast near a log jam. let my fly dead drift and suddenly it turns sharply to the right. i immediately lift on the line and it doesnt really budge...but it feels like im dragging in a limb or branches from the jam. all of the sudden, i see a flash of metallic green!! then the fight is on! i work the fish for about 3 minutes and let it wear down since i only have 3x on the end of my furled leader! finally after what seemed like forever i landed this beauty and thanked the Good Lord for the awesome experience. i then strung her up temporarily and called my wife to come down the road and take some pics. after that we made sure she was revived and off she went

Click the image to open in full size.

the awesome bug that did the deed
Old 01-28-2013, 09:07 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What a start to the 2013 season!!!!

Stellar start!!! Congrats!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:22 PM

frogg will become famous soon enoughfrogg will become famous soon enough

Sweet bass!
If that's any inclination on what to expect this year, you should be posting a lot of stories and photos.

Chris
Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 PM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

I sure hope so! I gotta say it made me think about setting up a nice6wt. Instead of carrying a hefty 8wt. around all the time for creek bass. It was nice carrying a light rod around and not tiring from casting all day
Old 01-28-2013, 10:04 PM

tpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura about

Beautiful fish! Congrats on the catch. I didn't think I'd be out bass fishing for a few months, but this may make me rethink that...

Tom
Old 01-28-2013, 10:13 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

That was a heck of a Bass. How long was it?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:14 PM

I usually don't start till March but this warmer weather was getting to me. The bite still wasn't aggressive but either way it was a very memorable day!

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

She measured 22"!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:22 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Nice bass!! 22 is a monster! Great way to start the year ! Congrats and hope the year goes accordingly!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-28-2013, 11:44 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Nice fish!

I know that was fun--Congrats!
Old 01-29-2013, 01:36 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Nice fish!