The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 12:47 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 7 weights....why no love?

I guess I prefer to keep things pretty simple. I have a 5wt for trout and light bass fishing, then I have my 8wt for throwing big streamers, steel head, redfish, bass etc.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:32 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Now there's a good point.

Unrelated question. How do I post pictures on here? The insert image button is for web images (gives me url box) and copy and pasting into the box doesn't work.
You can't upload directly. You need to host the image or grab the url from a another site. Use the image button, looks like a yellow square with mountains, and put the address in the box. You should delete the http:// part of it befor you pastre tha address or it will doulble it up and make the image not show up. If you host it at photobucket you can just directly copy and paste it in with your text. Copy the address that starts off with [IMG]. You can also skip the box popup that the insert image button provides by pating the image address in the text, and then simply add this [IMG] at the beginning. Then add this at the end [/IMG]. There is a thread in the forum on inserting images if this doesn't do it for you.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:39 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

" And if you can't be with the one you love , love the one your with!"
7 wts are definitely great for steelhead but I also like 8s and 9s depending on the situation. 7 is a lucky number for me so I've got the love ! But for big water basing 8s my go to. For steam size smallies 7. Sometimes it's all a matter of what's in the trunk for the spur of the moment fishing! Love the one your with!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-30-2013, 07:03 AM

wtl is on a distinguished road

I would compare it to the 16 gauge shotgun. Ive always wanted a 16 gauge. Its a handy size. But I dont see many 16s, or 16 shells, when I go to a sporting goods store.

Like with shotguns, most people dont collect every size. People jump around to fill gaps. Marketers know this, and so there are fewer on the store shelves.

My Dad has a 7wt, and I think its a terrific rod. I want one. But at the moment I have a 4,5/6,8 and 9. And with the 9, I would have preferred a 10wt, but I found it %70 off and bit. I suspect such occurance are common.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:48 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have a few 7wts... 3 I think
IMO they're the least useful size fly rod.
.. besides the little toys that is, the ones lighter than a 4
Old 01-30-2013, 10:01 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I wonder how many 7wts out there, when weighed with the common cents method, are actually closer if not true 8wts? I'm a firm believer its all in the action and the casting stroke, think about how many use a 5wt to chuck some pretty heavy nymph rigs. Its not a graceful cast but adjustments are made to the casting stroke and tungsten beaded, lead wrapped, leader loaded with shot rigs are fished everyday. A 6wt with the proper action and casting stroke can throw a streamer the size of a grocery bag, same goes for the 8wt. In reality its all up to whomever is holding the cork and to me going up one line weight didn't make much difference compared to rod action and casting it right.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:53 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Very helpful Diver Dan. Thanks a lot. It was driving my crazy.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:35 PM

jack1955 is on a distinguished road

When you look at the old fiberglass short rods up to 7.5 feet in length they were on average a 6 wt and used primarily in tight stream fishing scenarios because of their short length. Over time improvements in resins and wrapping materials has now made the former small creek rod into a small steel header with lengths of 10 feet or more.

The new 6 wts can handle a wide range of hook sizes, wind and all types of weather and fishing conditions that it has become the upper size range of trout rods able to land fish in the plus 30 inch lengths. The next step seems to now by pass the 7 wt rods and go directly on an 8 wt option as the option to fish for the larger trophies in both fresh and salt water and in warm waters where you want to land the fish in as short a period of time to reduce the lactic build up for a safer release.

It is conceivable that the 6 wt could eventually be replaced by 5 wts or even lighter sizes should improvements continue to be made in both resin and wrapping materials.

If this happens, then the current 6 wt rods could follow the same drop in popularity as the 7 wts are now experiencing.
wannafish likes this.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:04 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Like everyone else I haven't anything against a 7wt Rod as initially that's what most of us used however with The New Modern Rods & The Materials they are made from The 6wt has really taken over from them,also many like & mainly use 5wts as well.
Brian.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:54 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

Love my 7wt. Have a 'loomis GLX 9' and use it mostly for LMB or SMB. If you use bigger flies, fish around some cover it's a great choice. I use an 8wt also, mostly for Stripers. I hardly use my 6wt for trout or bass, it's my least used rod, guess I need to change that. Don't worry you will like the 7, IMHO it's a nice wt.
Craig