The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 09:34 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 weights....why no love?

My Sage One 5 wt is my primary trout rod, but when I'm out targeting Walter with big streamers, I like to use my Sage Z-Axis 7 wt 10 ft rod.
coug likes this.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:50 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an "even rod" kinda guy. 4-6-8wts for most of my fishing
I did buy 7wt last week.....and that makes 4 of 'em for me
I also bought a 5wt and two more 6wts so it's not like I'm converting
Old 07-04-2013, 12:25 PM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
My local fly shop was Knocking the 7 wt for LM. I wish there was a clear cut decision so i can go buy a fly rod!!
Hey Dryfly.....If you going to throw big bugs or streamers at bass a 9 or 10 is not out of reason. A 7 or 8 will handle many bass bugs and streamers. A 5 or 6 will do a fine job of small to even medium sized bugs depending on distance and wind. A 7wt with a lot of backbone will handle a surprising amount of wind and bass bug size. Depending on the line you choose. There is no black and white answer. You define your needs and then choose a rod and line. The reel for bass is of little concern and a $25 dollar one will work and last you many years even with hard usage.

Just remember....the heavier rod the more energy to cast over a long day on the water. ......sort of.....Casting big bugs on a heavy rod is easier than on too light of a rod if distance is needed. It is all a compromise
Old 07-04-2013, 08:25 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
My Sage One 5 wt is my primary trout rod, but when I'm out targeting Walter with big streamers, I like to use my Sage Z-Axis 7 wt 10 ft rod.
That z-axis is a nice rod! I built one up last spring and used it for lakes and it was great. Wish I could find more z-axis blanks.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:55 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I have several 7wts for SMB and LMB...and just about anything else of any size in fresh water.

8'9" Orvis Western Series
9'0" Hardy Demon
9'0" Custom rod by a young gentleman in Statesville, NC.

All of them cast great. Lotsa love for the 7 over here.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:59 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Was thinking about this "no luv for #7" thing today dealing with stop and go traffic.

Car was bucking, lurching, coughing and very not happy. The close ratio trans wasn't adding to the fun either, and nether was the high ratio fully manual rack & pinion steering. When I built the car, I knew it would do this, just like I knew I was loosing some high end HP's to gain was low end torque. I have what I want though, a car that will get the funk out of it's own way in a very predictable, civilized manor and maintain control of the power and stop the same way, and it is agile all the way through everything I have thrown at it thus far.

Realized the same about my #7. It doesn't like +2/0 cat toys into the wind nor 1/8 oz chuck-n-duck clousers, but it does exactly what I need and want it to do. No need for a #6 or a #8 for me. If I ever find myself needing/wanting more, it'll be a #9.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:40 AM

standman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
20+ rods of a single weight? Do you actually use them all or do you keep them just because?
The majority of my fly rods are fiberglass and work well with multiple weights. Although I don't get a chance to fish all of my fly rods I regularly lawn cast every one of them throughout the year. It's a pleasant form of therapy and for me, a 7 weight is the favorite weight to cast for target and distance.
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:59 AM

streamer junkie is on a distinguished road

I always have a 7wt rigged on my smallmouth trips and fish them quite a bit when chunking articulated streamers for tailwater trout.