The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Warmwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   7 weights....why no love? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/309344-7-weights-why-no-love.html)

nick k 01-29-2013 10:38 AM

7 weights....why no love?

It seems to me that 7 weights never get any love, regardless of target species. While the heated debate between 8wt and 6- for largemouth is rampant, very rarely is 7wt thrown in as a viable option.

In my opinion, 7wt rods could be the best compromise for LM fisherman, being high enough to hurl big bass bugs, but not overly so to make unintentional panfish seem like snagged twigs.

So my question, wheres the 7wt love? I personally use a 6wt diamonback for my LM fishing, but if I were to buy another rod for LM (probably a switch rod will be my next), then a 7wt it would be.

Thoughts?

mbchilton 01-29-2013 11:07 AM

Re: 7 weights....why no love?

A bass rod is one of my next purchases, and I'm actually thinking a 7 wt will do quite nicely. I'm with you!

zug buggin 01-29-2013 11:10 AM

Never gave it much thought but you are right, I have multiple rods in many sizes
1 3wt, 2 4wts, 2 5wts, 1 6 wt. 1 8wt but no 7 wt

nick k 01-29-2013 11:40 AM

I see so many people go back and forth about 6 and 8 for LM, very rarely see anyone say 7.

7 Also seems good to me because it wouldnt be extreme overkill for lighter fare, such as trout, and you could also have a sporty run with heavier fish, such as carp and musky, without being outgunned.

wt bash 01-29-2013 11:57 AM

Odd number, bad juju!

turbineblade 01-29-2013 12:19 PM

There's probably nothing wrong with a 7 weight, but it's too middle-of-the-road for me. I use a 6 weight a LOT -- but by the time I'm wanting to throw some huge #4 poppers or heavy clousers (or whatever else I have) the 8 weight just does it more easily.

That said, a lot of folks disagree. Harry Murray (a local legend here) prefers a 7 weight for smallmouth.

BTW - an 8 or 9 weight probably wouldn't spook any sunfish out there, so long as you don't aim your forward cast directly down at the water ;). My wife fishes an 8 weight all the time and catches more bluegill than she wants to catch.

coug 01-29-2013 12:36 PM

I am a big fan of odd numbers and am building up a z-axis 7wt now. Just sold an 8wt and a 6wt and this is the first replacement rod. My favorite trout rod is a 5wt, so a 7 wt just made sense when I got rid of the other two.

nick k 01-29-2013 12:42 PM

I use a 6 weight diamondback rod for all freshwater myself. Before I got that rod I used an orvis silverlabel 5 wt.

In my opinion, casting flies oversized to your rod/line actually improves your casting technique. Over time you learn what the most effective motions and subtle techniques are to get every last measure of performance out of your rod.

I throw 1/0 and 2/0 poppers, big fluffy mice, weighted crayfish, and big streamers with my 6wt because I've gotten used to hauling them out there.

I would definitely not be opposed to a little more rod/line weight to cast even farther, but unintentional panfish are so common when fishing for bass, and an 8 weight would be like an Olympic strongman walking an angry Chihuahua. That's where I think the 7 wt is perfect for anyone looking for a good compromise between fish play and cast length.

littledavid123 01-29-2013 12:48 PM

If you own a 7wt (I do) there isn't much reason to own a 6wt or 8wt rod. And what self respecting fly shop would ever promote a rod that has the potential to cut their sales...:D

Dave

ditz 01-29-2013 12:57 PM

My favorite all-round rod is a 5wt. I have a fast 7wt that I use for heavier fresh and light salt. I then go to a 9wt for salt and if I need really heavy fresh water rod but I don't remember ever using it in fresh. Most of my fishing is in local creeks and a 6' 2wt is my goto for SM, rockbass, BG and other fish here. Sorry, don't own a 6wt.