The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 11:42 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Float tubers....ASSEMBLEEEEEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Jack Gartside (the guy in the picture) was from the Boston area. He grew up in Revere and I want to say that he was living in Brookline when he passed away 4 years ago but I'm not possessive on that.
He was quite a character anyway and you missed out by never meeting him.
I suggest you read this 1982 Sports Illustrated article about Jack. The first SI article ever about a fly fisherman.

Jack Gartside ties some of his best flies in broad - 09.13.82 - SI Vault
That was a great article. Sad to hear of such a great angler pass away. As you probably saw from my profile, I live in Brookline myself.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:20 PM

balsabug1 is on a distinguished road

Float tubes are a ton of fun! It was my main platform for local farm ponds for years...I picked up a couple Hobie Floatcats about 15 years ago and made the switch, pontoons are the way to go for what types of water I fish. That being said, I float tubed the Green River for 3 days and did just fine...other than a few "non-trout" adrenalin rushes!
Old 02-16-2013, 02:01 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I have been using a tube for almost 30 years and never get tired of the time on the water. I use mine for small bodies of water now, I have a pontoon rig as well for larger water. Having oars and an anchor plus I can carry more gear is nice. Just make sure you have a pfd straped to the back on a d-ring if you venture out to far.

Craig
Old 02-18-2013, 08:57 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I own a boats, a pontoon, and float tubes, the tubes get the nod most of the time unless my dad is around and going fishing with me then it is usually a boat, but he says he wants to try the pontoon. He has bad knees so is leary of the float tube.

I like freedom of being able to kick and hold in a specific spot while my hands are free to fish. I would not put a float tube on a river unless it is specifically designed for it, but there are those that can do both lakes and rivers.

I always have a PFD connected to my tube, or in the cargo area, even with mulitple chambers in the tube, better safe than sorry.

Dave

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:17 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

My favorite part about tubing is the strange looks you get from everyone. I was floating on the Charles River in MA one day this past summer and noticed some movement in the trees up on a short cliff by the waters edge. Turns out some guy with a camera had been stealthily taking pictures of me floating around, and continued to do so for about 10 minutes.

A lot of kayakers normally float by too and look very confused.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:59 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

I grew up flyfishing from float tubes here in Texas and it an awesome way to fish!!! Fly rods and float tubes are a marriage made in heaven. Now I getting my sons hooked on this. We all just jump in and spread out. They are learning quick how to handle their own snags/tangles/fish landing/etc. Motors always starts, no trailer, no paddle, whell bearings, rack,..... required. Forget the depth finder (we use our fly rod for that).

I've always felt the slow nature of them makes you cover water more throughly than with boat or kayak in effect to becomes a benefit. You can't go fast so might as well give it a cast while moving. Wind isn't the problem for keeping your position that is can be in a canoe/kayak/ boat. I can spin on a dime in tight areas to to cover all the water.

From the picture below of my older son (wish I was that skinney again!!) in early Nov last year it is clear we go "wet" (no waders) which makes the call of nature easy to address. Just a pair of cutoffs or swimsuit.

Nothing like a long Saturday chasing Bass & brim with bugs & poppers. Sometimes you get a spooky chill when a fish on the stringer kind of slides up to your bare leg.

Pete A.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:39 PM

I know what you mean, float tubing can get very creepy sometimes. I normally hook my net onto a D ring on the side of the tube. Sometimes it floats around and his my flippers and I get a scary jolt run through my body.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:00 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I know nothing about float tubes,,but,,what happens if you have a big sudden 'leak' and go flat..........just swim for it ? Seems risky.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:05 PM

Most tubes now have at least 2 bladders, making it very unlikely for this to happen. Many people also carry a pfd on the tube with them. Plus it's not like they are made of rubber. Most bladders now are high grade pvc material with a tough fabric covering them.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:48 AM

klunker will become famous soon enough

When I hear "tubers" I right away think of the flotillas of party tubers I have seen floating down river leaving a trail of bobbing beer cans. So the term "tuber" is a bad one in my mind. I think we need a new name for ones used for fishing.

How about Inflatable Floating Fishing Yacht or IFFY for short.

That being said like previously mentioned they have their place. I like the small simple nature of tubes. I myself don't have one but a buddy does. I myself use a small aluminum V hull row boat with a small outboard. I can run about 8 miles up river in an hour or so then spend all day floating back down. If you use your tubes on a river how do you get back to the launch point/car again?