The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 07:44 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Float tubers....ASSEMBLEEEEEE!

Wanted to drop a post about float tubing to share any good experiences, ideas, or tips anyone had.

I started float tubing this past summer. Ended up loving it so much, I would go almost every day after work until it got dark.

You get some strange looks and some water is pretty creepy and scary to tube in (or maybe thats just me being paranoid of 150lb snapping turtles thinking my leg is a filet mignon) but its a great feeling hooking up at fish level.

Anyone else get into it recently or been thinking about it?
Old 01-31-2013, 08:03 AM

pkins44 will become famous soon enoughpkins44 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Float tubers....ASSEMBLEEEEEE!

I have been thinking about it. i have been tossing the idea between a canoe and a tube for a little while. It seems once my mind is made I discover something new that changes my mind. How hard or easy is it to control the tube in a mild current in a river? My main river is fairly shallow and moves a little quicker than I thought you would want for a tube.

http://www.dupageriverflyfishing.com
Old 01-31-2013, 08:14 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

I have a Fish Cat 4 tube from Outcast which I love. It is very easy to maneuver do to the pontoonish style. If you purchase a float tube, I would recommend the Fish Cat 4 or any other V shamed tube. For obvious hydronamics reasons, circular tubes and U shaped tubes are harder to push through the water, although still not very hard.

I primarily used it in the Charles River in MA, in a section with very light current. I dont believe that it would be difficult at all to maintain a stationary position in some faster water. It is probably easier, in fact, than a canoe as you can reposition yourself as you fish, and not have to put your rod down to grab an oar.

This being said, kayaks are better for large bodies of water, or areas with an extreme amount of surface vegetation/scum. If you fish large, deep areas, I would recommend a kayak. There is always something spooky and unnerving about floating over deep dark water with your legs dangling below you (maybe I just saw Jaws too young).

If you are going to be in small streams and ponds, however, float tube is a great experience and allows you to maneuver freely and easily. Landing fish on a tube is also very enjoyable, as you simply reach out in front of you and pluck them from the water. The ability to spin the tube completely around while you cast is also a great advantage to tubing.

Overall, I strongly recommend tubing, but in the right waters. I have been thinking about getting a kayak as well for bigger ponds/lakes and ones generally covered in a lot of growth, especially at any boat launch spots.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:25 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold
Default Das Boot’s

Hey Nick,

Here’s the fleet. The Outcast serves as our loaner.

Click the image to open in full size.

Mrs. Trout Trekker tubing with a little chill in the air.

The things you see while tubing on quiet water. Those are the biggest Grebe’s I’ve ever seen.

Nope, it’s just Mom and the kids out for a morning dip.

It doesn’t feel like a Bow or a Cutt.

It’s one of those high Sierra bronze back trout.

The long kick home…

We’ve owned many craft, but the one constant here is the tube, if for no other reason than packing them in to remote locations. In the case of the older Bullets, a big plus is not needing a pump to inflate them.

Enjoy guys, TT
bigfishcatcher likes this.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:26 AM

frogg will become famous soon enoughfrogg will become famous soon enough

I bought a float tube, the Fish Cat 4, I believe, a couple years ago. I'm not sure why, but I haven't even got it wet yet. This will be the year of the tube for me!

Chris
Old 01-31-2013, 11:32 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have two of them. I got one as a loaner so I can get somebody to come do it with me. They are a great thing for getting into places you can't get to wading or can't take the boat. I have a lake about 3 hours South of me that does not allow boats and only half of it is a castable shore. I need to go hit it this Summer with the float tube again. That was where I took mine the first time I used it. It is probably the best Largemouth lake in the state.

My favorite float tube photo. Jack Gartside;
itchmesir and rubberguy like this.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:39 PM

DD: Amazing photo.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:25 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

Used a float tube for about 15 years. They are great but have limitations like any craft. You don't get in any hurry because it just won't happen. Great for pulling up to ponds and hopping in. Used on lakes but like I say you ain't going far or very quick. They are another tool in the arsenal. Quick setup, just add fins and go.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:50 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
DD: Amazing photo.
Jack Gartside (the guy in the picture) was from the Boston area. He grew up in Revere and I want to say that he was living in Brookline when he passed away 4 years ago but I'm not possessive on that.
He was quite a character anyway and you missed out by never meeting him.
I suggest you read this 1982 Sports Illustrated article about Jack. The first SI article ever about a fly fisherman.

Jack Gartside ties some of his best flies in broad - 09.13.82 - SI Vault
Guest1 likes this.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:45 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

You'd never catch me in an inflatable!