The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 06:06 PM

flcracker83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to flcracker83
Default Speck on the Fly

I've been having pretty decent luck lately catchin these fellers on the ol' Fly rod. This one took an Olive Wooly Bugger

Click the image to open in full size.

And yet another Pic of him.

I love catchin them on the Fly, they are little Bulldogs
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:13 PM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice
Default Re: Speck on the Fly

Nice! I love catching those dudes on my 5wt.!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:32 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Idk, I'm not a huge fan of them. They are pretty, but when I set the hook they always swim towards me. Sometimes I even lose them because I can't strip in line fast enough.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:21 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Crappies are one of my favorite fly rod fish too! In the places I fish they don't usually get very big, and a 10" fish is a brute. On a 3 or 4 wt they're great!

I posted some flies awhile back & a few weeks ago of some I tied that I would use for them & other panfish. I have a couple of boxes full of buggers too that Ill use. I'm also a big fan of olive buggers, but pink & white also works well on Crappies.

Spinner Flies, size 4 hooks. Would use these with my 6 wt.

Simple Streamers, size 6, no added weight.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-03-2013, 12:18 PM

roofish is on a distinguished road

I would love to catch some on my 7' 3wt Avid
Old 02-03-2013, 04:08 PM

flcracker83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to flcracker83

I know they're a lot of fun on the 5wt I would love to have an opportunity to catch one on a 3wt, seems like it would be an absolute blast. Now all I have to do is find a 3wt I can afford right now lol
Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

Check out the cabela's three forks three weight rod reel and line for 110 ish bucks. Works great, used it all the time until I got my 2 weight. In fact I used mine 3 times Id sell it to you for 70 if your interested.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:38 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Wait til you catch a beast, i caught one just shy of 16" and the thing fought like a turtle.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-06-2013, 12:41 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Black Crappie are called calico bass here in CT and one of the best times to catch them is coming up in just a few weeks, just after ice-out.
They school on sunny days in south facing coves where the water warms quicker and will take dry flies and small poppers off the top as quick as you can cast them out. Big ones too.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:00 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Idk what crappie you all have around you. The ones here try to come jump in the tube with me as soon as they're hooked. I'd have to swim backwards if I wanted to see the rod bend.