The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 06:25 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Spey rods for bass?

i'm currently on the lookout for 11-12' switch rod for bass fishing....
can't wait!!
time for the dark side

casey

ARFE
Old 02-04-2013, 06:51 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Again, I see a lot of people going switch, not many going Spey for stuff like bass. Is it better to get a switch and do single handed and 2 handed casting well, or go Spey and have really good 2 hand casting.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have never really felt the need for getting a switch rod for Bass. I either use a single hand rod, or I use my big two handers. I might be the odd ball here.

I would be reluctant to just go with what it seems everyone else is doing. I have never heard of anyone targeting Walleye with a spey rod either. But I decided to do it anyway, and as a result have caught way more than my fair share of really big Walleye doing it. If nobody ever tried new things, we would still be wearing fur chunks and hitting fish with rocks.
bugslinger likes this.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:47 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

True, not that I'm opposed to throwing on a fur chunk. They look like they must have been very comfortable and soft.

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

What weight spey would you recommend for bass and similar species. 7? 8?
Old 02-05-2013, 11:35 AM

derelict is on a distinguished road

After a lot of reading, I went with a 6 weight. Seems that it will be able to do bass and other warm water fish and then also some cold water.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:19 PM

Interesting. Any suggestions on spey rods? Not looking for something too crazy expensive. Plus I gotta buy the line system.

Also, separate question. Do spey rods/lines require a specific type of reel? I would assume something large arbor to hold lots of thick line, but anything besides that?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:52 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

I had a 7 weight switch rod that I used for bass. Teamed with an intermediate poly leader and a wulff ambush line, it was quite fun to use for bass. I was tossing clousers out without an issue.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:28 PM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I have never really felt the need for getting a switch rod for Bass. I either use a single hand rod, or I use my big two handers. I might be the odd ball here.

I would be reluctant to just go with what it seems everyone else is doing. I have never heard of anyone targeting Walleye with a spey rod either. But I decided to do it anyway, and as a result have caught way more than my fair share of really big Walleye doing it. If nobody ever tried new things, we would still be wearing fur chunks and hitting fish with rocks.
Your not alone Dan, I am the same way one handers or two handers never did see a need for a one and a half hander. In my humble opinion a swtich rod is a spey with training wheels.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:01 PM

Just seems like you are getting all balance and no real strengths.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Base what weight spey rod you get by what distance you need to toss the flies. I look at two handers not by what you want to catch, but by how far you need to deliver a fly. You can land what you want to on any two hander. You may not be able to cast as far as you want however, with any two hander. You need to look at this as a delivery system for the fly, not a fish retrieval tool.

If I remember right, you said up to 120'. That means a fairly big rod. I can repeatedly hit 140', and by repeatedly, I mean pretty much every cast, with a 15' 10/11 wt. rod. I have hit maybe a tad over 150' trying to pull Mooneye that were surface feeding behind the first railroad bridge piling. By the way, those cast were with big clousers. If I mess up any part of my form on those casts they don't go that far.

I'm pretty sure you can hit 120' once you get the kinks out of your cast with a 14' 8 wt. or so. 14' 7 or 8 would be what I suggest. That and wear your fur chunks fur to the inside. It tickles when you walk and is just more fun.

Again, you don't want to use a skagit. You can but I don't think it's the best tool for the job. You can use a scandi if you want. I see no problems there other than I just don't see hitting really long casts underhanding it.

Now I think one of the things that make people think the skagit lines may be what you want to use is the line "for big flies". But they may be thinking about what big is in a single hand trout type thing. Seriously, I toss stuff big enough to make a huge bass think twice about messing with it in case it can fight back.