The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Warmwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Spey rods for bass? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/310004-spey-rods-bass.html)

nick k 02-04-2013 01:43 PM

Spey rods for bass?

So I've been thinking about getting a switch rod for LMB fishing around me. The rivers/ponds/lakes here are almost all covered with trees and heavy vegetation for the whole shoreline. Basically, no backcast room.

My logic here is, if I get a switch rod, I'll almost exclusively be using it for spey style casting, so why not consider a spey rod and get longer spey style casts. Seems to me that if I buy a switch rod, I'll get a rod thats moderately good at what I want to use it for, whereas if I get a spey rod, I'll get a rod specifically designed for what I want to use it for.

This all being said, I'm not knowledgeable about switch or spey rods. Does anyone here use a spey rod for bass or similar fish?

Guest1 02-04-2013 01:49 PM

Re: Spey rods for bass?

I do. I have used them for Walleye, Pike and Bass. Love them a lot. I'm using 15'ers.

nick k 02-04-2013 01:53 PM

Say I wanted to do a single hand cast with a spey, extremely hard, or just not practical, or both?

Guest1 02-04-2013 02:10 PM

You can do it but is is really really hard. I saw Steve Rajeff do it with an 18'er on you tube. But as I said, it is really really hard.

I just spey cast and then use it like I would a single hand ro. I made a stripping basket that sets low on my left side and strip the whole line in. I shake it back out to the marker and then perry poke and cast.

Rip Tide 02-04-2013 02:25 PM

If you fish the kinda places that I do (and I think that you do) you'd be far better off buying a small watercraft than a spey style rod.
The ponds that I fish require relativity short but accurate casts into weed pockets and that's best accomplished with a rod in the 8' to 8 1/2" range ... give or take.

You were asking about float tubes the other day..... They were a rare sight here in New England not that long ago, but becoming more popular all the time, as are kayaks.
Of course the canoe is the traditional fishing watercraft in these parts and for good reason.
You'll find that there's a lot of used ones around from around $50 on up.
A good way to find a deal is to spot one that is obviously never used sitting in somebodies yard and just ask if they want to sell.
You'd be surprised how happy people are to clean out their yard this way.

nick k 02-04-2013 04:16 PM

Oh I'm well aware of the joys of float tubes. I got my Fish Cat 4 last year and love it. During the summer and fall, I used to go almost every day after work until it got dark. There are a lot of instances, however, where I would like to fish from shore and not worry about the boat, but have no back cast room.

It seems like at 90% of the places around me, I cant fish unless I take the tube. I'd like to have a tool that lets me fish most places from shore or with waders.

Rip Tide 02-04-2013 04:27 PM

Another thought was that with the cast that you use with a spey rod requires the line or at least the leader to be "anchored" in the water and when you make your pick-up to begin the cast, the leader is "ripped" from the water like you'd perform a water haul. (not sure what all of this is called)
Anyway, the way that I picture it, any heavy shoreline vegetation would make this very difficult
(unless I'm not understanding the whole concept, which is entirely possible :rolleyes:)

nick k 02-04-2013 04:39 PM

I think my description of shoreline vegetation was a little poorly worded. What I mean is that there are trees and bushes very close to the shore, close enough that even a short conventional cast would be difficult. There is not often water vegetation close to shore that would pose problems.

I have my 6wt Diamondback rod which I love, but I'm just feeling more and more constrained to the float tube if I want to fish around here. I enjoy tubing, but don't want to be limited to it in order to catch fish.

I hear a good amount of people going switch for stuff like this, just dont hear of anyone going spey for bass. If your not casting the switch rod one handed, why not?

itchmesir 02-04-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick k (Post 523408)
Say I wanted to do a single hand cast with a spey, extremely hard, or just not practical, or both?

I have this book...

I've read a little.. But with hard water.. not having a chance to really make use of them yet... So I'm holding off on reading the book and making time for other reading... Think I'll be able to pull some of it off with either my 9' 6wt or my 9'6" 7/8wt... Will probably try to do it with my 7'6" 4wt too... Hopefully I'm successful

bugslinger 02-04-2013 07:06 PM

the spey may not help you catch fish but it will;

let you cast without any false casts
let you cast with the bank,bush,woods, at your back
let you throw further than any single hand rod will
let you spend less energey casting
let you fish longer
let you tell others how your idea has paid off

Charlie