The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 08:03 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Need help: Strategy session for very weedy local pond/lake

I have had a couple pop off, but I don't think it's due to the materials. If anything I thing it is due to the bend in the hook. It would seem that when tension is applied it would cock the hook in an "open" fashion.

I think the main trick to that is to NOT pinch the barbs down. We aren't catching delicate little trout here....
Old 02-07-2013, 08:26 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I would be more concerned about my vehicle and personal safety than catching fish if in a shady part of Atlanta. Are there other people fishing there? If the numbers are few there is probably a good reason.

Dave
Old 02-07-2013, 09:22 AM

jessezm is on a distinguished road

Ha! That's a good point about safety... But honestly, I feel pretty comfortable in most parts of Atlanta, and this one is relatively safe. I've seen a two other "locals" on the bank with their 5 gallon buckets and we'll gab a little bit (I'm a man of the people...)

Anyways, yall thanks for the great advice! The pattern I threw most of yesterday was an olive and white bendback, actually (failed to mention that...). Maybe I just need to try harder!

And just to clarify, all the weeds are sub-surface, growing to within about 1-2 ft of the surface in most placed.

I'll get some senkos and maybe try tossing out some worms on conventional tackle and see what happens.

It is colder (45-50) with a light rain today--any suggestions on swapping tactics? Thanks again this has been great!
Old 02-07-2013, 10:17 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My collection of fishing books is getting out of hand. Many get put away with out ever being read.
One big exception to that rule was Practical Black Bass Fishing (1974) by Mark Sosin and Bill Dance (and illustrated by Dave Whitlock).
It's packed with solid information on bass, their habitats and how to target them.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:20 AM

jessezm is on a distinguished road

Can you give me the cliff notes version? Hah! just kidding, I'll see if I can find a copy around here (or ebay..), thanks!
Old 02-07-2013, 01:56 PM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

If you see bass at the surface I would say that they are ready for poppers. In most cases the weeds are just below the surface and small poppers can slide right over the top. I have some poppers listed online, designed for this scenario. I am not going to post the link here, but if you are interested you can send me direct message and I will provide a link to give you an idea of some things you might look for in your local shop or tie up your own.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:07 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscatorial_phd View Post
If you see bass at the surface I would say that they are ready for poppers. In most cases the weeds are just below the surface and small poppers can slide right over the top. I have some poppers listed online, designed for this scenario. I am not going to post the link here, but if you are interested you can send me direct message and I will provide a link to give you an idea of some things you might look for in your local shop or tie up your own.
That little slider you sent would definitely do the trick!
Old 02-07-2013, 02:12 PM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
That little slider you sent would definitely do the trick!
That's what I was thinking. I just want to be cautious about not plugging too much on here. Maybe I will just upload some photos. Thanks by the way.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscatorial_phd View Post
That's what I was thinking. I just want to be cautious about not plugging too much on here. Maybe I will just upload some photos. Thanks by the way.
No worries! I'll snap a picture of it when I get home today
Old 02-07-2013, 02:24 PM

Here's a couple of ideas that are easy to cast, land almost as quiet as a fly and have some good action and resemble minnows at the surface.

I call it my Sneaky Shad

And same body style in Chartreuse
brookfieldangler likes this.