The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 05:22 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: remember when....

Is this the official cranky old guy thread?

Sorry but the only thing on that list I remember is being able to fish all day, alone. That has nothing to do with the century or year I lived in, but the time in my life. I wouldn't trade my family for anything, but I also cherish those years that I could fish when ever and where ever I wanted to for as long as I could take it!
Old 02-12-2013, 05:23 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
This thread needs some pictures..

Remember when…

You’d buy thread like this, from these folks.

Click the image to open in full size.

In quantities like this…..

Click the image to open in full size.

For about the cost of a single spool of quality thread today?

TT
Memories,I remember Herters long before I heard of Cabelas,I remember their Huge Catologues which had heaps of things never seen elsewhere.
I was only a Young Apprentice in those days,there was no Internet,Ebay,so everything had to be Via Mail Order or wait for The Local Stockist to get it in,it seemed forever waiting for The Latest Fly Lines to arrive as everything originally came by Cargo Boats.
Then we were introduced to Airmail & Import Duties.
There were always plenty of people Fishing,heaps of people Fished & everyone mainly Fished The Rivers as access was no problem,also most of The Dams & Lakes were just being Built & The Rivers weren't Silted as they are today.
Brian
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:30 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Herters was the Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop of that era! Wish the prices were the same as then!
I lived for the Herter's catalog.
John Montana's SOTM winning carp reminds me of when I was a kid and we would hunt carp of that size and larger with bow fishing equipment from Herter's..... hell, a good chunk of all my outdoor equipment came from them.
Still got most of it too.
mcnerney and theboz like this.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:45 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

I remember the cover of the catalog was yellow and red and the pages were B/W. If I saw those colors sticking out of the mailbox I jumped. Used to drool over the decoys!

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

Speaking of Bow Fishing my first rig was a Stemmler Glass Recurve with a beer can with dacron line taped on the bow! The arrow was a piece of fiberglass antenna with a fish point from Herters!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-12-2013, 06:42 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Now I’m getting nostalgic. Which is where this train, is going to come off the tracks.

Remember when.

“ Can you hear me now ? “, meant that you and your buddy, weren’t stretching the string between the two tin cans tight enough?

Your depth finder was synthetic twine wound on an old line spool, with a sinker on it’s end and knots tied every three feet?

You and your best friend, would go fishing and refer to each other all day long as Curt ( Gowdy ) and Virgil ( Ward ) ?

Your dad asked you to get the “Bottled Water“ and he meant the huge jug that was being carried for the cars radiator?

Sunset Line and Twine was in San Francisco along with Scott & Winston?

The local cafť was on a dirt lot with a hitching post outside it’s front door, that got used?

Coffee shops had toasters on each table, so you couldn’t complain to the waitress if your toast didn’t turn out the way you like it?

You could order Ham & Eggs in most any coffee shop and the ham was so large, it had to have it’s own plate?

Your town had cattle drives and a rodeo? Oh wait a minute, we still have cattle drives and a rodeo. Sorry.

...a “Bird’s Nest” didn’t have anything to do with a nymph, it meant your reel was fouled somethin' fierce.

TT
mcnerney and bugslinger like this.

Last edited by trout trekker; 02-13-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:24 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugslinger View Post
... you could fish all day - alone
8 dollars bought your license and a box lunch
gas was 29.9 per gallon
the newest rod was a Orivis Golden Eagle
your waders were rubber
mono was just coming into it's own
your favorite hat was a red plaid Woolrich that matched your hunting outfit

what did I forget guys????

I am 44 and i dont remember any of that. Way before my time ya geezer.
mcnerney, dean_mt and bugslinger like this.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Penny candy could be bought for a penny, 2 cents for a tootsie roll pop

Your mom sent you outside to play with your friends and say don't come home til lunch or dark, and she didn't worry you were gonna get stolen or mugged or worse

Red Skeleton, Disney's Wonderful World, Ed Sullivan - that was entertainment

If you wanted to do research you went to the library

I remember 24 cents a gallon for gas

My first car cost me $7.00 to register and only needed a safety inspection - no such thing as smog, that was the stuff they only had in LA

if you wanted to heat something up you used a stove no such thing as a microwave

The coffee pot percolated

and one of my dad's favorites - he says he remembers the days when ships were made of wood and men were made of steel

Dave

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:16 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Click the image to open in full size.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRUj8dma0oo
Old 02-13-2013, 12:02 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Dude may be old but I'm feisty!! Haha!
Grandpa Simpson no! More like Burgess Meredith in Grumpy Old Men!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-13-2013, 12:39 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I about fell out of my chair. Hear stories like that all the time at work