The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 07:32 AM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road
Default remember when....

... you could fish all day - alone
8 dollars bought your license and a box lunch
gas was 29.9 per gallon
the newest rod was a Orivis Golden Eagle
your waders were rubber
mono was just coming into it's own
your favorite hat was a red plaid Woolrich that matched your hunting outfit

what did I forget guys????
Old 02-12-2013, 08:29 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: remember when....

The first license that I ever had to buy was a Maine non-resident youth.
I don't remember exactly, but I'm thinkin' it was $3.50. That was a pretty big chunk of change for a 12 year old at the time and it took a substantial bite out of my spending money.

How about this...... when was the last time that you saw a fishing vest with a zip-off creel ? They all had them at one time
Old 02-12-2013, 09:27 AM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

I remember when,

Fishing reports came from friends or family.

Hatch charts were at the river or in a book.

Urban riparian corridors were open, welcoming and inviting.

learning about a new river meant you had to go there.

Figuring things out for yourself came from from experience, family, friends or by using a book.

I first got a computer and the internet was still a stretch of the imagination. ( I am sure some of you remember when the computer was a stretch of the imagination )

Cheers,
Watson
mcnerney and bugslinger like this.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:45 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember when fishing meant cleaning, and you had two choices for getting bait, seine or shovel.

Dave
Old 02-12-2013, 12:39 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

remember when....

Fly lines came in oversized Shinola cans.

Aeon was a hot brand in leaders.

The Scientific Anglers Rep was also the Uncle Josh Pork Rind Rep.

Your Powell Rod Rep camped out in your shops parking lot, instead of heading to the Best Western.

A middle aged man could pay a mortgage and raise a family on his hourly wages from a fly shop.

Fly show organizers were just happy to have people show up and it was free, even the parking!

Just a few of many, TT
Old 02-12-2013, 01:39 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

The Cabelas sold flys in a little box ad in the back of Field and Sream and Outdoor Life / dozen flys FREE just pay $1 shipping .

When you had a new fly rod it was made of fiberglass! Some hollow some solid.

The only Salt Water Fly Fishing organizations were local clubs in New Jersey and Rhode Island.

If you had a fly rod at Montauk they called the guys in the white coats to remove you. Now it's the norm'

At Hermans Sporting Goods ( which was considered the expensive store) thread was 10 and tinsel was 15 cents. A cape was 3 or 4 dollars and bucktail was a buck (of course)!

After wearing your Red Ball rubber chest waders and Helly Hanson rain jacket in the surf all day you smelled like wet rubber and you knew what leg muscles were!

Thompson Model A was the vise to have.

In Salt Fin-Nor was the reel to have and match that with a Fenwick 12 wt and you were the man!

And the zip on creel that Rip spoke of the good ones had a strip of metal sewn in the inside to prop them open the cheap ones were just a bag!

And I don't remember ever having clear head cement I think it was all amber colored.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

And the only fishing show was Gaddabout Gaddis the Flyong Fisherman.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-12-2013, 01:57 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

And here I was thinking this thread was going to be about the Alan Jackson song .
dean_mt and bugslinger like this.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:35 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

This thread needs some pictures..

Remember when…

You’d buy thread like this, from these folks.

Click the image to open in full size.

In quantities like this…..

For about the cost of a single spool of quality thread today?

TT
Old 02-12-2013, 04:59 PM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

I forgot these;
if you fished a tidal basin,salt or bay you din't need a license!
Sea Robins were as abundant as Bluegills
mcnerney and theboz like this.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:14 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugslinger View Post
I forgot these;
if you fished a tidal basin,salt or bay you din't need a license!
Sea Robins were as abundant as Bluegills
The Robins are still like that where I go! To many!!

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
This thread needs some pictures..

Remember when…

You’d buy thread like this, from these folks.

In quantities like this…..

For about the cost of a single spool of quality thread today?

TT
Herters was the Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop of that era! Wish the prices were the same as then!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser