The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 08:52 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Fly box for larger bass flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
NIck: I know you said you don't like the Cliff Bugger Box, but at $6.49 at Joann's plus the cost of some 4 mm sheet foam and spray adhesive it is hard to beat. Quick View Carrying Case-12''X3-1/4''X9.875'' & Storage Boxes & Tubs at Joann.com
Not a bad idea there. Makes the bugger beast look like a damn ripoff, which it kinda is.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:55 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Not a bad idea there. Makes the bugger beast look like a damn ripoff, which it kinda is.
Nick: The bugger beast is the same exact box, just a different color and has the foam pre-installed.
woodrivertroutbum likes this.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:21 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

I think this Allen fly box is actually great dimensions and style. Might pick one up eventually.

Guide Fly Case - Allen Fly Fishing Store
Old 02-21-2013, 09:37 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
Larry, after reading this discussion I was looking at that same box on the Flambeau website. Seems Art Bin is one of their brands, so that should be a good box. Flambeau has some other similar boxes as well & also has a fly box similar to the MFC box posted by shotgunfly, which on their website is listed at about $49. Would not surprise me if Flambeau is not supplying their boxes to some of these other brands!

Personally, I still can't see paying that much for a plastic fly box.
But, that's just me!

$6.49 plus a couple dollars for foam is more my kind of box! There's a Joann's about a mile from my house too!

Did I not post these pictures here?

The box with the red foam is an artbin box the size of a Cliff's Beast.

These other boxes are from Flameau. The biggest box is 17" wide and the two smaller boxes are the same boxes Cliff uses for his Bugger Barns.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
chefdg likes this.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:56 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Mudbug, you should have replied much sooner too & saved us all a lot of typing!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 03-24-2013, 07:49 PM

spencerhicks is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to spencerhicks

Where did you get those flambeau boxes? I checked their website but you have to order a case of 24......
Old 03-25-2013, 06:17 AM

I ended up getting the Allen Guide fly box. Awesome large fly box and for 1/3 of the price of their competitors. Check them out.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:31 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I just swapped all my bass flys into a single partitioned box I got at Harbor Freight for under $4.
They had been in two boxes-one, a 4X8" Flambeau foam lined box and the other a 4.5X7.5" two inch deep pencil box I got at the dollar store and lined with foam.
The new box has 18- 2X1.5" spaces with removable partitions.
With some of the HUGE deer hair,balsa and foam bugs I got in last year's swap I needed to condense. Now the box has 2- 7" X1.5" slots and a dozen smaller slots.
I actually wanted something without foam so the weed guards wouldn't get bent.
I think my dry flys are going into something similar but smaller that won't smash hackles so much as the foam boxes.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 03-27-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
I just swapped all my bass flys into a single partitioned box I got at Harbor Freight for under $4.
They had been in two boxes-one, a 4X8" Flambeau foam lined box and the other a 4.5X7.5" two inch deep pencil box I got at the dollar store and lined with foam.
The new box has 18- 2X1.5" spaces with removable partitions.
With some of the HUGE deer hair,balsa and foam bugs I got in last year's swap I needed to condense. Now the box has 2- 7" X1.5" slots and a dozen smaller slots.
I actually wanted something without foam so the weed guards wouldn't get bent.
I think my dry flys are going into something similar but smaller that won't smash hackles so much as the foam boxes.
I used to use the big saltwater partition boxes like you are talking about. Didn't like them much after a while. The spots are too deep and the flies jumble around, crushing and drying them into weird positions.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:39 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerhicks View Post
Where did you get those flambeau boxes? I checked their website but you have to order a case of 24......

Right Here