The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 03:28 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice
Default Fly box for larger bass flies

So I've been trying for a long time now to find the perfect fly box (or 2) for my flies and I haven't seemed to find a winner yet. I primarily fish for largemouth so my arsenal contains small, medium, and large flies, both in length and width/height. I currently use the plastic compartmental standard fishing lure boxes in order to fit my oversized flies and keep them all separate. The problem is that it gives the flies too much room to jumble around since the boxes are so deep. I want a nice, medium sized fly box with some sort of grooves to keep my flies in place, but still deep and large enough so that the bigger flies wont get crushed when the lid closes. Any ideas?
Old 02-21-2013, 04:32 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about
Default Fly box for larger bass flies

Cliffs bugger beast jr or bugger beastClick the image to open in full size. this is the junior. The only problem with these boxes are they look empty unless you have lots of flies.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:54 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice
Default Re: Fly box for larger bass flies

I looked at those. The only thing I didn't like was that the sliding latches require a lot of force to move and open the fox. Plus they take two hands and there are two of them.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:15 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Nick, I'm in the same situation as you. I keep most of my bigger flies in Plano type boxes, but when I say bigger flies, some of mine are 8 inches long or longer. I don't have a problem with them jumbling around however, because the boxes are stuffed so full, they can't move around much!

I'm not that impressed with the Cliff's boxes, particularly for the price, but I know many use them.

I just placed an order for 3 fly boxes, smaller than the Cliff's, but hopefully large enough to at least carry a couple dozen flies. If they're of sufficient size, that will be my solution. I would rather carry a couple of smaller boxes, than one big one. I won't know until they arrive.

I also have 2 Plano boxes I use when boat fishing. I'm not sure they're even still made, but they're generally shaped like the Cliff's with a handle on one side & made so they can be attached together. However, they're compartmented and don't have any foam in them. So far, they've been the best solution I've found for carrying a lot of big flies. I use one box for subsurface & the other has both subsurface & topwater flies in it.

BTW, many of my bass flies also are the same flies I use for Striped bass and I have a lot of flies!

Here's my boat boxes:
Click the image to open in full size.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:53 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I've used the conventional tackle boxes with the movable partitions and I have recently started making my own version of the cliffs boxes. I like those boxes better since they hold the flies in place and prevent the feathers and deer hairs to get all smashed.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-21-2013, 06:15 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I use one of these in the kayak or bass boat. It's a beast but it holds tons, is bomb proof and has tons of room.

Made by Montana Fly Company (MFC). Easy to find online. I like having all of my flies out rather than in separate compartments.

For wading for bass, I use my CF design fly boxes (large waterproof boxes). I have 2.

One side is pretty deep to accommodate poppers and big deer hair flies. The other side I put slimmer bass flies in (streamers, crayfish, etc). They don't hold tons but between two of them I get enough variety in pattern and type for a day.

This link has a few big boxes you might consider along with the two I mentioned. The umpqua ultimate boat box looks promising for bass flies. It's kinda like the MFC box, but I'm sure it's not as expensive. The MFC is $60.

http://www.michiganstreamside.com/sales_fly_boxes.htm
rodc likes this.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 02-21-2013, 06:28 PM

Wow that box does really hold a lot.

And you sure do love your clousers don't you bigjim.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:40 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Quote:
And you sure do love your clousers don't you bigjim.
Oh yes, a guy who fishes mostly in tidal waters for bass & Stripers can't have enough Clousers!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

NIck: I know you said you don't like the Cliff Bugger Box, but at $6.49 at Joann's plus the cost of some 4 mm sheet foam and spray adhesive it is hard to beat. Quick View Carrying Case-12''X3-1/4''X9.875'' & Storage Boxes & Tubs at Joann.com
nick k likes this.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
NIck: I know you said you don't like the Cliff Bugger Box, but at $6.49 at Joann's plus the cost of some 4 mm sheet foam and spray adhesive it is hard to beat. Quick View Carrying Case-12''X3-1/4''X9.875'' & Storage Boxes & Tubs at Joann.com
Larry, after reading this discussion I was looking at that same box on the Flambeau website. Seems Art Bin is one of their brands, so that should be a good box. Flambeau has some other similar boxes as well & also has a fly box similar to the MFC box posted by shotgunfly, which on their website is listed at about $49. Would not surprise me if Flambeau is not supplying their boxes to some of these other brands!

Personally, I still can't see paying that much for a plastic fly box.
But, that's just me!

$6.49 plus a couple dollars for foam is more my kind of box! There's a Joann's about a mile from my house too!