The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 08:46 PM

carp master is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Carp flies and tactics

not to hi-jack, but how important is water temperature? i usually fish in water no deeper than 5' and its supposed to be in the 50's this weekend. i'm really itching to get out but i would assume the water would still be to cold.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:58 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

Water temp is crucial. Out here they start to get active around 50 degrees, but 60 plus degrees is way, way better.

Carp on the Fly
Old 03-06-2013, 09:31 PM

carp master is on a distinguished road

i may have to run up there this weekend and check the water out. i assume it won't be warm enough yet, but its close and worth a shot.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:36 AM

fichy will become famous soon enough

50 degree water temp seems to be the cut-off for my waters. I find them on dark, shallow mud flats that warm very quickly in the sun in April. I've fished the same flats every year for a few decades and never bested the second week of April. It's not a surprise that I first find them when the burrowing nymphs, midge and chironomid larvae and anelids are getting active in the sediment . The perch and bullhead have just spawned, too. They show up for the easy food. I have a canal near me that may get active as soon as it ices out. We'll see.

Charlie
Old 04-08-2013, 02:26 PM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road

What would be the top 2 or 3 cheap carp reels for a 6wt? I live in downtown Denver and am looking to put together a mid priced carp setup and need a reel for on a 9ft 6wt Redington Predator rod. Any thoughts on the Sage 1800 series? 80 or 50?

Hardy DD?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2013, 03:33 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I used a Sage 1600 for a coupel years and its been a great carp reel. They made some improvments and now call it the 1800. The lamson konic ( even though they ruined it with color ) is also a solid reel. Also check out the Allen Trout II reels or the Alpha III

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-08-2013, 05:12 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

I have an allen, it does the job. I've got a pretty wide range of reels, and I do prefer something with a solid drag, and the large arbor is a must. for the money, the allen will get it done. I used to think reels just held the line, but for carp, they matter.

Carp on the Fly
Old 04-08-2013, 05:43 PM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by john montana View Post
I have an allen, it does the job. I've got a pretty wide range of reels, and I do prefer something with a solid drag, and the large arbor is a must. for the money, the allen will get it done. I used to think reels just held the line, but for carp, they matter.
I agree that they matter for sure...would just rather not be walking around the stranger parts of Denver with a $500 Hatch..so to speek.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:00 PM

Hah...I have always wanted a hatch!

The Allen was my go to reel up until last season...it will do the job.

Carp on the Fly
Old 04-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
What would be the top 2 or 3 cheap carp reels for a 6wt? I live in downtown Denver and am looking to put together a mid priced carp setup and need a reel for on a 9ft 6wt Redington Predator rod. Any thoughts on the Sage 1800 series? 80 or 50?

Hardy DD?

Thanks

Allan, Echo or Cabela's