The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 01:20 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice
Default Re: Bass Fly Help

If you use it in the salt infrequently, it shouldn't be a problem. Many inexpensive rods and reels today are made to withstand both salt and fresh water pretty well.

Basically, it's not like the thing is going to melt in your hands. Just make sure to give it a rinse after you're done, and you should be fine.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:30 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I fish saltwater 80% of the time. Your real problem is going to be wind. When your fishing the beach you can only cast in one general direction, there's no place to hide. Walking around to the other side of the ocean usually isn't an option. I personally wouldn't take anything less than a 7wt to the beach no matter how small the fish I'm fishing or how small of a fly I'm using.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:27 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

What little I have gotten to fish in the salt I have tried the my 5wt several times with no success. As soon as I moved up to my heavier rig I started getting hooked up. I really would like to get hooked up to some ladyfish and speckled trout on my 5wt but it just has not worked out.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:36 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
What little I have gotten to fish in the salt I have tried the my 5wt several times with no success. As soon as I moved up to my heavier rig I started getting hooked up. I really would like to get hooked up to some ladyfish and speckled trout on my 5wt but it just has not worked out.
The only exception is back bay areas. When I take the kids fishing for Snappers (baby Blue Fish) in the fall or White Perch in the Spring I'll fish a 5wt because we're in the harbor (less wind, no surf) and 20' cast is all I need. The problem with the surf is even if the fish are feeding in close you need at least a 50' cast because you have to clear the wash (breaking waves) otherwise as soon as your fly hits the water the wash brings it right back onto the beach before a fish can see it.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:49 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just guessing but I think your problem is line control on the retrieve. I've caught plenty of ladyfish and seatrout both on a 9wt as well as a 5 wt . I only use the 9 for bigger flys such as Clousers and Decievers. When you retrieve in SW with a 5 and use big flys the rod tip imparts a different action then with a heavier rod. Also any wave or wind action will tend to make you lose control and feel with your 5. Try going to smaller flys like shrimp patterns and a stiffer leader with your 5. Casting was never a problem for me especially when targeting these 2 species as generally they are at very close range.I truly believe from experience if you adjust your leader and fly with the 5 you should do just as well as you would with a heavier rod. If your fly retrieve comes more under control as with the heavier rod then you are heading in the right direction.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-20-2013, 11:27 AM

Hey Boz....I assume you are infering to shorten up the leader and even use a heavier one. I have always used about 8' total and a 8# tippet. The next time I get down there I will shorten up the leader and maybe go to a 15# tippet. I would sure like to catch some of those lady's on my 5wt. Thanks...I will give it another shot.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:39 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
Hey Boz....I assume you are infering to shorten up the leader and even use a heavier one. I have always used about 8' total and a 8# tippet. The next time I get down there I will shorten up the leader and maybe go to a 15# tippet. I would sure like to catch some of those lady's on my 5wt. Thanks...I will give it another shot.
You got it! The stiffer the connection between fly and flyline the more your control with the lighter rod. Just cause the rods lighter doesn't mean you have to go lighter with the leader. Ladyfish are a blast! Like mini tarpon!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-21-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Just cause the rods lighter doesn't mean you have to go lighter with the leader. Ladyfish are a blast! Like mini tarpon!
Actually I used an 8# tippet on my 7 and 9wts as well......and yes the ladys are fun and would be even more fun on the 5wt.

...I use 6# tippet for most of my freshwater warmwater fishing except in real heavy cover. 6 and 8# will take a lot of pressure unless it is nicked. Just my experiance so I seldom feel the need for heavier.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:52 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

How big are these ladyfish you are targeting? The ones I used to catch on my 5wt were about a foot long and didn't fight well at all. They would jump once or twice and then just swim to shore.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:04 PM

I don't remember any of them being that small but none were over 18" either. They didn't give me any grief on the 8wt which is why I wanted to use the 5wt.. I would like to say that it was less work to cast the 5wt too but it was actually less work to cast the 8wt in those conditions.