The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 05:42 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Default Re: Bass Fly Help

"Here in st. louis I've never caught a bass over 5 lbs so buying a 7-8 wt right now, with just starting out an all seems kind of pointless to me. I wont be hurling anything too huge, maybe some decent size streamers and some poppers on the mineral fork and simaler waters."

First of all there are several components to picking that fly rod. The quarry for instance. A Bass has very hard lips when compared to a trout, hence the phrase, "rip their lips off," applies when hook setting. That lends itself to a stiffer or heavier weight rod, and puts you into the six to seven weight rod.

Second, the flies are bigger with Bass flies ranging from about a size 10 up to a two ought. There again you are in that seven weight rod.

Third, you'll find that poppers and deer hair flies (a favorite) are air resistant and again a bigger rod is needed to get the out "nicely."

Last of all if you should fish the salt, or bigger fresh waters the wind is a factor and wind dictates some rod power. In short get a seven if you want it to happen "nicely,"but if budget or other constraints get in the way use what you have but be prepared for a bit of slop and frustration.

As far as getting a Bass line goes, it will likely be designed for warmwaters and therefore not so kinky as the trout offerings.

" Was wondering if just buying an extra spool and using some bass taper line and possibly over lining would help cast larger flies? Whats the difference between my rio gold and a bass taper line? Also I take an annual trip to sanibel island every summer and wanted to do some fly fishing for maybe some lady fish, would over lining help throw some streamers to them? Again I want to use what Ive already got, not buy a whole new set up. Any advise will greatly help since I'm still new to the sport. Thanks! "

It would help but not the greatest. On the Rio Gold versus a Bass taper - kinkiness for one and the bass taper is designed to help carry bigger, wind resistant bugs out to the fish.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-22-2013, 06:06 PM

corb90 is on a distinguished road

Wow, thanks everyone for all of the replies. I have learned quite a bit from everyones input, sorry I havent gotten to thank you all sooner ive been pretty busy with school and work. Just an update, I got a killer deal on a ross essence 7 wt on STP. Only set me back $120. I know im going to be chasing small mouth on the meramec and huzzah ect when the weather warms up, and the tips have been flowing so I figured what the hell, TRIGGER PULLED. Anyway I'm using the same reel I had on my first set up, a prestige plus cabelas reel. Its a 5/6 wt but I'm going to strip some backing and throw 7wt line on it since its a pretty heavy reel (Or do I want 8 wt line). Anywho now I'm in the market for line. I have rio gold for my 5 wt. Pretty good i suppose but I have ZERO expierence with any other line besides that and prestige cabelas line. Blue Halo is pretty cheap and looks sweet, anyone have any input on that line or another you can reccommend for a decent price? Thanks again for all of the replies!
Old 03-22-2013, 06:49 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
How big are these ladyfish you are targeting? The ones I used to catch on my 5wt were about a foot long and didn't fight well at all. They would jump once or twice and then just swim to shore.
Those must be the lady's that wear skirts! Haha!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-23-2013, 08:16 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

Overlining: Maybe....Some rods really like it and some don't.

Removing backing: It might be better to remove a little of the flyline running line. If your lucky you may need all the backing you have
corb90 likes this.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:47 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

I'd advise you to stick with the rods rated line weight. If you aren't throwing anything huge, which you said you aren't, you won't need the extra line weight.

I use a 6wt for largemouth and can throw some damn big flies with it. Get a cheap 7wt line and if you feel you want to upgrade than do it. If you aren't very experienced with fly rods and lines, chances are you won't even be able to tell the difference.
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:33 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Good going. I'd trim a bit of backing off as for the fish you mentioned targeting don't really make long runs. Go with the 7 wt line for starts and if it feels to light pick up a quality 8 wt from Ebay. Somewhere between now and then you'll discover sight fishing for Carp and then you'll want a reel with a great drag and lots of backing!!! LOL It's an addiction.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-26-2013, 04:31 PM

corb90 is on a distinguished road

HA! Funny you should say that as I have gotten interested in carping lately and am trying to find out how and where to do so near missouri. For my 7wt I am going to be purchasing a new allen reel. I really like the looks of the trout 2 but am curious if the larger size reel would be big enough for a 7 wt? Any input on this topic would help, if not I'll just go with the alpha when I save my pennies!
Old 03-26-2013, 04:46 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you're looking at a deal I didn't see the price difference between the Trout 2 and the Alpha 3 on their website isn't that much. The smallest Alpha says it holds 200 yrds of 30lb backing with an 8wf line on it. That's a lot of backing! The Trout 2 holds 100 yrds with 5wt line, so I'm not sure how much backing you'd get on there with a 7wt line, but I'm not sure how much you really need. If you're worried about the Trout 2 not being big enough and the price difference is really less than $10 just get the Alpha and a ton of backing
Old 03-27-2013, 06:57 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

I believe those are all based on Dacron backing. If you loaded it with gel spun you could get considerably more backing in.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:39 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Backing for LM fishing isn't really an issue. LM dip and dive and jump but they don't really run. You'll rarely get far into your backing even with big fish.