The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Competing with other sportspeople for carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Of all the great fish him and i have caught together he still talks about that big Pumpkinseed!
I don't blame him. It's been 15 years since I caught mine and I still kick myself over it.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:36 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Pretty serious about it myself montana and here are a couple of thoughts. First check your regs as some states prohibit wasting of taken game or fish. Not sure how it is now but when I was fishing for them in Washington State it was illegal to bow shoot Carp and discard. I will admit I did go after them with a bow a couple times but what challenge is there to shooting a fairly big target from 15 ft or so? So I gave that up. In general if they are taking the fish to eat, and yes they are edible, in fact quite good when canned, bow shooting is ok by me. other than that I view comments such as I use them for dog food, or garden fertilizer with a jaundiced eye? As for those pursuing them with the UK/Euro Carp rigs and techniques--quite sporting and fascinating to boot.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-13-2013, 09:06 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Until they get a gamefish status (unlikely) its just part of it. I'm not into leaving any fish to rot on the banks but have no problems with folks who use them as a natural fertilizer, I do feel sorry for any down wind neighbors.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:07 AM

klunker will become famous soon enough

I've mentioned before when I was a kid back 40 or so years ago I did alot of carp fishing. Everything we caught was killed. It was the "right" thing to do at that time as far as we knew. I did drag one or two home on occasion for my mom's gardens. She was very enthusiastic about getting them. Of course she was enthusiastic about everything we did. At this point in my life I still don't know if she really wanted a dead fish for fertilizer on a hot summer day or not.

The river ran behind the main street in town. I lived about 3-4 blocks past the main drag. So we had to go across main to get home. And it was all up hill going home. Once on a warm summer day I had about 1/2 dozen carp on stringer (about 20-25 lbs) that I was going to drag home for Mom. It was going to be the biggest haul of ever for my Mom. After dragging it about a block along the river and across Main street I realized that I had signed up much more work than I wanted. Right where I crossed Main was a Fish Market, Mehrings Fishery. A stroke of genius came over me and I walked right in with my stringer of Carp and asked to see Mr. Mehring. The lady behind the counter gave me a good look up and down. For some reason at the time I couldn't understand why she was not as enthusiastic about the Carp as my Mom always was. She growled out a few words that I still remember to this day.

"Get the h**l out of here before Mr. Mehring gets back". Dejected I started back out the door with my prize load of Carp. Just before I reached the door I heard the lady say to another lady behind the counter "We're lucky Mr. Mehring isn't here, he would of bought those dam things". Every time I think of that I have to chuckle to myself. I did manage to drag all those Carp home. And my Mom was especially thrilled to get all those fish. But for the first time I had to dig all the holes in her gardens to bury the Carp. And she made sure I dug real deep holes. She said it was to keep the Racoons from digging them up. After Dragging all those fish home and digging all those holes I was beat. After that I never brought any more Carp home, it was too much work no matter how happy my Mom was about. Come to think about it she never mentioned fish for her gardens even when she knew I was going fishing.
chefdg and frogg like this.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:20 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

I understand this a controversial topic that is not best suited on a flyfishing forum. I also personally hate seeing discarded fish just as much as anyone else.

I acknowledge that there are slobs out there who dump fish. Unforchantly Its a practice that does occur, and one that needs to be stopped. This also bothers me, and I get disgusted when I stumble upon the results. I'm not going to stick up for the people who do this, as it gives the entire practice a black eye that the rest of us will always be associated with, and earns the practice a reputation that the responsible will never be able to recover from.

I also wouldn't want to smell them, I put them several feet down underneath a large wood chip pile. 1/2 a year later the compost then gets dug back up and spread.

Progression though the years.

Click the image to open in full size.

Obviously not all compost as lots of soil was also dug up in leveling the yard, but these images hopefully show that I'm being honest in my use. This land was hand cleared, hand leveled, and seeded /fertilized using natural methods.
wt bash likes this.

Last edited by charged; 03-13-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:46 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

I am sure none of us are doubting your usage charged. I believe we are on the same page for the most part.

Carp on the Fly
Old 03-14-2013, 07:05 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

The key here gentlemen is usage/consuming. If you kill it, use it in some form. Don't toss it on the banks thinking the raccoons or buzzards need to eat too. Yes, we have the "right" to do as we wish with our catchs...so to speak. But please, don't waste the resources given to us. Lest, one day they will be gone and we will be the ones to suffer the results. Have I walked up to the "fresh hooked caught bank trash"? Yes. I threw them back and may have even had a few choice words about "resource" wasters if that individual chose a rebutal as to why.
wt bash likes this.