The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 12:26 PM

fichy will become famous soon enough
Default Competing with other sportspeople for carp

My carp flats on tribs of the Hudson are starting to have quite a few bowfishers on them. Not only are many of the large carp ending up as dried skeletons in the weeds, the surviving carp are starting to avoid many areas. Some places I just didn't even bother with in the past 5 years, as they are very sparsely populated now. I spent this past weekend on a recon mission to find some potential new spots. Some will require the kayak to get to before wade fishing. Another spot I fished in the past has been found by eastern European immigrants and is now heavily fished with bait and buckets. This bothers me less than the wasteful bowfishing. Several lakes I've fished east of San Diego encourage their eradication. I caught a bunch of kids chasing them up a shallow creek with baseball bats at one . The carnage was incredible. Is anyone else experiencing this kind of competition where they fish?

Charlie
Old 03-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Competing with other sportspeople for carp

I don't even have Carp where I live. The reason I am posting though is a question. I used to live in San Diego and Oceanside. Where the heck is the Hudson? The only Hudson I know of is really long way East of San Diego.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:11 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I've only ever had one run in with a bowfisherman. He was standing on top of a bridge and shooting carp from there.

Completely pissed me off.

What really pissed me off is the fact that the fish were just tossed on to the shore.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:16 PM

kingofamberley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I don't even have Carp where I live. The reason I am posting though is a question. I used to live in San Diego and Oceanside. Where the heck is the Hudson? The only Hudson I know of is really long way East of San Diego.
You don't have carp or bluegill?!?!
Old 03-11-2013, 01:41 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

we have huge bowfishing tournaments around here and i must admit before it became common knowledge that carp were valuable as a fly rod quarry i shot many of them myself. as long as what they are doing is legal i dont know that you have ant real recourse. maybe your fish and game dept will change regs or something if intrest in carp fishing continues to grow but until it helps theyre bottom line with gain or loss in liscense sales that probably will not happen.the bowfishermen purchase fishing liscence to so i doubt it will change. fortunately for me most of the smaller rivers where i carp fish have zero bow fishing pressure and we have tons of bigger tidal rivers with tons of larger carp where they like to shoot.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:08 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofamberley View Post
carp are a stocked species... they were often stocked in well populated areas... to be sold at local fish markets... if you know anything about northern minnesota... it's never been a highly populated area... and most lakes and rivers up there were already plentiful with fish... those lakes that weren't were often stocked with brook trout to feed lumberjacks of the era
Old 03-11-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Dan, they have these odd inventions that look like big birds- you ride in their bellies. I'm one of those bums that save all their money to travel and fish.
San Diego Bay is a phenomenal fly fishery and the lakes to the east of it are great carp fishing.Some of the pros here probably fish the fly tournament at Henshaw. Weather is phenomenal, I've actually got bonefish and 13 other species and thanks to Southwest and Hotwire, pretty darn cheap. I usually fish under the Coronado Bridge, launching my float tube from Tidelands Park. I've caught carp all over the place. I live near the upper Hudson on the Battenkill River. Most of my carp are in water that's about 33 or covered with ice right now. If I hadn't had to buy a new truck, I'd be carp fishing in warm sunshine in Ca. in a few weeks. Bay in the morning-carp in the afternoon. I go almost every year. That incident I mentioned was at Lake Morena. It's much better known for giant bass.

Charlie
Old 03-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofamberley View Post
Nope. No Carp, no Bluegills. We have Pumpkinseed, but they are a small strain. A 2 1/2" Pumpkinseed here is a giant. This applies to just Rainy River and Lake of the Woods.

I have a spot South of me with giant Pumkinseed. I hooked one that I had lipped like a Bass and turned to a buddy I was fishing with and said "Look at the size of this Pumkinseed" He made some comment that involved at least two swear words. We measured and weighed it. Then I tossed it back.

Later I looked up the state and IGFA all tackle record which it would have destroyed both.

OK, thanks fichy, you had me thinking there was a river there I had missed. I should also add that a lot of the lakes there have gigantic Largemouth.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:49 PM

frogg will become famous soon enoughfrogg will become famous soon enough

I also live on the Hudson (that river on the east coast). I've seen a few sweet places for targeting carp. The only pressure has been friends and myself chuckin' worms from shore while enjoying cold beverages.
I plan on going after them with the flyrod this year. I've been reading up on it lately, here as well as online articles, and YouTube.
I can't wait for open water!!

Chris
Old 03-11-2013, 04:27 PM

Frogg, last year I did a job down near Kinderhook and Stockport Creeks. I carp fished in the evenings after work and was impressed with the fishing. I'll be down that way for striper season, too. I shouldn't tell you this, but corn or dough soaked in vanilla extract makes flies very attractive. And no , I don't, I like the challenge of catching them on flies only. Just a little trick from childhood...

Charlie