The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Warmwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Switch rod for bass fishing? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/313302-switch-rod-bass-fishing.html)

notenuftoys 03-11-2013 10:55 PM

Switch rod for bass fishing?

I was fortunate enough to swing a spey rod a couple years ago on the Deschutes River, and I've been fascinated by two-handers ever since. Unfortunately we don't have any beautiful, large rivers full of enticing chromes and redsides. We just have a bunch of cloudy water. The one similarity is limited room to back cast.

So I've been thinking.... (and have some extra change jingling in my pocket)

Why wouldn't a switch rod, or spey for that matter, work for bass fishing from the bank? Large flies, limited room for a back cast, and the need to cover water quickly. Seems like a perfect match. Surely I'm not having a moment of brilliance. ;)

So, I'm on the verge of taking the switch rod plunge for bass. I like the versatility of casting one or two handed, and the shorter rod will be a little easier to navigate as a beginner. I have no clue what rod, reel, line, or other widget yet, but is there anyone who can talk me down from this ledge?

bugslinger 03-12-2013 07:46 PM

Re: Switch rod for bass fishing?

A spey rod lets you do things you cant do with a switch or single hand rod. It will let with you fish with you back tight to cover and thrown the entire line plus backing. I never saw a niche for the switch rod but I'm a traditionalist so take that for what it's worth. I have a boat but choose to wade for my fish it's what my ancestors did and the spey is the tool to do it with. You can buy a switch but it will never equal the speys capability. Weight wise I would buy an 8/9 , it's heavy enough for bass,carp,and schooly stripers. You can throw large flys with it a single hand 8/9 wt would struggle to do with less energy and further. If you want an all around Salmon, and light salt rod then a 10/11 is what you are looking for. There are many many brands out there, buying used will give you top of the line equipment at entry level costs. Drop a line in the spey forum and ask questions and listen to the answers. Good luck

Charlie

fichy 03-13-2013 10:46 AM

I use one occasionally for smallies and walleye in moving water, but in still, I prefer to use a tube or yak to reach fish. If I'm fishing bass I generally want to impart movement and strip flies in. This means putting the rod underneath your arm and using a 2 hand strip. Doesn't work as well using topwater and single hand the length beats hell out of your shoulder. I'm also yanking them out of cover. Long casts aren't usually used. I use to use a telescoping pole with poppers when I was a kid. I'd drop the popper in holes in the lily pads and wait for an explosion. Not the same. They do work well for striper fishing in rips. Not what you asked, though.

Charlie

Guest1 03-13-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fichy (Post 536305)
I use one occasionally for smallies and walleye

Charlie

Hey, another one! Awsome! My rods are bigger, but close enough. How do you do on those Walleye?

There was just a thread about doing this very recently. If you want to do it from the bank, and backcasting room is limited they are a perfect rod for that. I told him the smallest I would go is 13' 7 wt. and that is the SMALLEST I would.

Before we get a bunch of comparisons like "Oh an 8 wt switch is like a 10 wt. single hand blah blah blah..." it's comparing apples and oranges. It's a bad way to look at it.

Also I'm not to sure I agree with your idea "the shorter rod will be a little easier to navigate as a beginner". My first one was a 15'er. It wasn't hard to learn. In fact I taught myself watching you tube and many hours of casting.

fichy 03-13-2013 05:19 PM

[QUOTE=Diver Dan;536332]Hey, another one! Awsome! My rods are bigger, but close enough. How do you do on those Walleye?

Dan, sometimes, when the conditions are right in April, I can find the walleyes below a falls and in a big riffle where swung big black bunny leeches
will do well. I actually tried this past Sat. for a little bit, but it's still way too cold. Soon.

Charlie

notenuftoys 03-13-2013 11:58 PM

Thanks for the replies. Diver, I found that other thread after I posted this one, and it there was some good information.

Yea, the whole stripping thing might be a little more difficult, and perhaps I should just save the money and buy a kayak instead. I already have a couple of 8wts and a 7wt, so I don't need another rod for bass fishing (throwing big nasties).

I'll ponder this some more, but it's good to see that there are a number of folks that enjoy the spey rod for bass. A kayak may be preferable for me to reach the fish.

Guest1 03-14-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notenuftoys (Post 536542)
Yea, the whole stripping thing might be a little more difficult, and perhaps I should just save the money and buy a kayak instead.

Don't let the stripping thing put you off. I made a big stripping basket I hang low on my left side. I strip all the way to the leader. I shake the head back out to the marker, perry poke and cast. Repeat as needed. :D

You can see in this photo, it has a waist belt. Hanging down from that are two straps. They are adjustable. At the bottom of the basket is a leg strap. It is basically a holster style basket. The bottom of the basket has two drain holes and weed whacker loops to reduce tangles. All of this, including the buckle on the waist strap I forgot to mention, are available at the hardware store. Oh, and the adjustments on the waist strap and closure on the leg strap are velcro, also from the hardware store.

I have a sewing machine, actually two, and did the sewing myself, but if you don't you can probably find someone who will do it for you. I think it took me 15 minutes tops to sew it all up.
http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps21ea442d.jpg

You can see how it sets on me in this video.

okuma 03-14-2013 09:04 AM

Can't talk you down from the ledge here. I'm using a 6 weight switch myself this year for hybrid ands white bass.

fichy 03-14-2013 12:11 PM

One other option, especially if you're fishing a bank with overhanging limbs and trees up to the edge- Use a long belly switch or steelhead/salmon line on a 9' rod. I do it every fall for salmon and can launch good size flies with single hand
Spey casts. I use these casts wade fishing with any line when I lack back cast room. With a little practice 50-60' casts are easy. Not as efficient as a Spey rod, but doesn't require a new rod and works in tight spaces.

Charlie