The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 05:51 PM

kingofamberley is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Flyfishing for Sauger...

Interesting Dan. In non-great-lakes-Ohio, where me and (I believe) the OP are, there are few walleye around, though native sauger and saugeye (escaped from reservoirs mostly, though possibly reproducing in the wild somehow) are fairly common in the rivers. The problem is just locating them with any kind of consistency. On the Ohio river, guys fish for sauger off their boats below the big dams in the winter. Sauger on the smaller rivers throughout the state seem to be a here-and-there occurrence. The saugeye tend to pile up below the dams on the smaller rivers. Good places to look for sauger are deep areas that follow complex currents and structure, like big river bends.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:42 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

I agree with Diver Dan that sauger are rarely surface feeders, but can occasionally be caught near the surface. Being new to the sport, I Haven't targeted them yet with fly gear. However I've caught plenty of sauger (and walleye) in shallow water by swimming (rather than jigging) white plastics on a jig along a rocky shoreline in fairly close proximity to deeper water in the late evening. I'm expecting to have similar success with a clouser now that I've taken up fly fishing. I believe at least the lower portion of the clouser should be white to simulate most baitfish.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a good plan to me. I like Blue and White. But they are alot like Walleye in that they will hit wild colors that represent absolutely nothing, so don't be afraid to switch colors if you are not getting them or it's slow. I did a bunch of Clousers that I followed color patterns that work well in crankbaits. When I troll the lake I use Reef Runners alot. Their crankbaits look like Timothy Leary did the color designs in a lot of them. I have used them for Walleye with some pretty good results.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:06 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
We have a limit that seperates Walleye and Sauger, unlike most places where they combine them as a single Walleyeish type fish.
Forgot to mention that one of the reasons some areas combine them is that they also stock saugeye (hybrid: walleye eggs and sauger sperm) and I was told many fisherman have trouble telling the three species apart. Wheterh that's true or not, I don't know. Sauger and saugeye look similar and are often confused, but both neither should be confused with a walleye.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:17 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

my grandfather(RIP, passed 4 days ago) used to catch them at his lake cabin in western ohio (piedmont lake) area.
def. looking forward to fly angling for them

casey

ARFE
Old 03-15-2013, 11:36 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your Grandfather Casey. Hope everyone in your family gets through the next few weeks OK. It's always a rough time.

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
I was told many fisherman have trouble telling the three species apart. Wheterh that's true or not, I don't know. Sauger and saugeye look similar and are often confused, but both neither should be confused with a walleye.
All of that is true. Up here all the Saugeye are natural and really rare. Saugeye get alot bigger than Sauger do. Since they are so rare here, and I have seen precisely three, none of which I caught, and all were small, size would not have helped.

Actually I have come across a fair number of people who can't tell Walleye from Sauger either.
caseywise likes this.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:35 PM

fr8dog is on a distinguished road

We get walleye and saugeye here in OK. Most of mine are caught on "firetiger". They chew the paint off the crankbaits, so when I started fly fishing for them, I just copied the color.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Banned

Welcome to the forum fr8dog! That's great. I tie Firetiger Clousers also. Pike really like them also. I do a Clouser style leech they really like also.

Can't wait to see what you post.

I make them that glow in the dark also.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:06 PM

I am inspired now! When I get home from work I am going to tie up an idea specifically for sauger!

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

Diver Dan, do those glow in the dark flies really seem to up your catch ratio at night? I think I might like to tie some like that.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:08 PM

Alright, I came straight home from work and tied this, using the above stick bait as a point of reference. I give you, the Clown Clouser, or.... THE PENYWISE!
Because we all float down here...
piscatorial_phd and dakotakid like this.