The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flyfishing for Sauger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofamberley View Post
Diver Dan, do those glow in the dark flies really seem to up your catch ratio at night? .
Absolutely. I have been hunting for glow in the dark stuff since the day I discovered just how well it does work. I just got some Flashabou that glows pink, green and by green not the same green the white glows. I already had Orange that glows orange. I need to get my mits on some blue and have it glow blue. That would be awsome. I have on order, 3-D eyes that glow, thread that glows, and rainbow thin skin that glows.

I also paint the lead hourglass eyes with glow ProTek powder paint.

The fly in the top right is made with glow in the dark spider web from the Halloween section of K-Mart. It works just like EP fiber. Awsome stuff. I'm going to experiment with KoolAid dying some and see if it still glows but through the new color, making it look seperate in the water.
piscatorial_phd likes this.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:48 PM

kingofamberley is on a distinguished road

Nice, I will look in to some glow materials.
BTW, the red head on that clownser was done with red nail polish (don't tell the lady )
Guest1 likes this.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:27 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Nice looking flies in this thread. I fish the Ohio River frequently. Although I target either white bass or hybrid bass, I've caught my share of sauger on a fly. I use one pattern primarily...a chain eyed clouser. I tie it in white marabou with emerald flash, white/gray marabou with silver flash, and beadhead streamers w/ olive marabou with a little emerald flash as well. The emerald I use when emerald shiners run as bait. The silver, when shad run as bait. The olive I use when the lighter colors fail me. These 3 colors mentioned work well on sauger in the area of the country I live in. Sauger tend to come shallow the last hour or so of daylight in my parts, so the chain beads eyes server me well.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:40 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

DD you should start a Fishing Mythbusters show.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:24 AM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
my grandfather(RIP, passed 4 days ago) used to catch them at his lake cabin in western ohio (piedmont lake) area.
def. looking forward to fly angling for them
casey
Sorry to hear about losing your grandfather. Sounds like he left a good fishing legacy to you.

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Welcome to the forum fr8dog! That's great. I tie Firetiger Clousers also. Pike really like them also. I do a Clouser style leech they really like also.

Can't wait to see what you post.

Click the image to open in full size.

I make them that glow in the dark also.
Man, these look great!

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofamberley View Post
I am inspired now! When I get home from work I am going to tie up an idea specifically for sauger!

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

Diver Dan, do those glow in the dark flies really seem to up your catch ratio at night? I think I might like to tie some like that.
Me too! I am definitely taking notes. What great responses to my initial question.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:33 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I finally uploaded a couple of Sauger photos. Most of the ones I get are small up here. As I said, we have a small strain, but even for here they are small. Almost all of the really big ones I have ever caught were out in the lake. Fly fishing the river they tend to look like this;

I did get this one that was really nice for fly fishing in the river. I got it on a bright Orange and Yellow Clouser.

It was the only Sauger I ever caught in this spot. Everything else has been large Walleye. I have never caught one under 22" there.
kingofamberley likes this.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:59 PM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I finally uploaded a couple of Sauger photos. Most of the ones I get are small up here. As I said, we have a small strain, but even for here they are small. Almost all of the really big ones I have ever caught were out in the lake. Fly fishing the river they tend to look like this;

I did get this one that was really nice for fly fishing in the river. I got it on a bright Orange and Yellow Clouser.

It was the only Sauger I ever caught in this spot. Everything else has been large Walleye. I have never caught one under 22" there.
You need to have your own fishing show!